Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hello everyone !

Encoded an .mkw file to .mp4 to be with Apple TV 2.

Apple TV 2 is connected via HDMI to my Receiver. I have a 5.1 setup and I cannot get the MP4 files to play 5.1! (only 2.0 LEFT and RIGHT Speakers)

I am using the Apple 2 Preset.

I did not touch the Audio Tab and left it to default.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Turn on DD5.1 on the ATV2.

When encoding you need track 1 to be AAC and track 2 DD5.1

Are you sure the source had a DD5.1 soundtrack.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010

I am sure the source had a DD5.1 soundtrack as when I examined the mkw file with Media Info it showed it to have 6 Audio Channels.

Where do I do turn on DD5.1 on my ATV2?

Can I just leave Track 1 to AC3 Passthrough?

Last edited:

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010

Are you sure the source had a DD5.1 soundtrack.

I just changed the first audio track to AC3 Passthru and I tried it through my ATV 2 and it works. 5.1!!!!!!!!!

Guess you don't need two Audio tracks after all!!!

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I just changed the first audio track to AC3 Passthru and I tried it through my ATV 2 and it works. 5.1!!!!!!!!!

Guess you don't need two Audio tracks after all!!!

Good. Keep the AC3 track for for devices that can decode AC3 5.1 sound, but I'd also keep a second stereo (2-ch) audio track (AAC), for devices that cannot decode AC3, such as iPhones and iPads. By the way, I recommend MKVTools to remux MKV to M4V (or MP4). It has an ATV preset, will pass-thru the video of the MKV if already 720p, thus no transcoding and quicker turnaround time. I also use Subler for adding subtitles, metadata and the HD flag.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
By the way, I recommend MKVTools to remux MKV to M4V (or MP4). It has an ATV preset, will pass-thru the video of the MKV if already 720p, thus no transcoding and quicker turnaround time. I also use Subler for adding subtitles, metadata and the HD flag.

Doesn't Handbrake do this? Or are you saying it'll be faster with MKV Tools?

I guess a good DVD Ripping workflow might be:

DVD > Rip It > output: VIDEO_TS Folder > Handbrake > output:MKW file > MKV Tools > output:MP4 file > Load into ITunes

Sound about right?

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

For DVD ripping use Handbrake. Save the TS video folder from the dvd to your hard drive then open that up in hanbrake (quicker and less demanding on your DVD drive). Make sure you have VLC player installed first (Handbrake uses certain files from VLC to get around copy protected DVDs). Select atv2 preset, select the cc track for muxing subtitles if you want. Handrake will then transcode it as an mp4 or m4v. From there open the mp4 in Subler: Enable both audio tracks, subtitle track, add the metadata and artwork. Save. Then drag it into iTunes. Done.

For Mkv remux to m4v or mp4 when video source is HD 720p use Mkv Tools. Select atv preset, video pass thru, Ac3 audio, add 2nd 2-ch audio track, mux subtitles then click convert. Then subler for same as above and also to add the HD flag. Then iTunes. Done.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
@Sampdoria

Thanks for taking the time to share that info with me.

You gotta tell me what "muxing" means in layman's terms?!

So, you're telling me that if I am ripping my own DVDs I should go with Handbrake for ripping and encoding/transcoding.

If I find a file that is in mkv format, simply use MKW Tools to remux to MP4.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.