Apple TV 2 HDMI > DVI

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Freddurrr, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Freddurrr macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Simple question: I'm plannig on buying an AppleTV 2 that I would like to connect to my screen (not a tv, just a Samsung Syncmaster with a DVI input)

Will this work? Because I read all this stuff about HDMI and HDCP, protected content, but I don't fully understand.

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

It will work if your Samsung's DVI connection supports HDCP. Some DVI connections do, some don't. You won't get sound as there's no audio over DVI, you'd have to either connect the ATV2's optical audio output to an optical audio input (which your screen probably doesn't have) or get some kind of adapter.

The new Syncmasters with HDMI inputs are pretty cheap, by the time you're done messing around with adapters etc it may be more economical to upgrade the screen.

3. Hotppcchick macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This works just fine for me. Good luck!

4. Freddurrr thread starter macrumors newbie