Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiofx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
I have been searching the forums and google for one solution for all my devices. I am getting ready to rip my dvd collection to to an apple friendly format. From what i came up with its suggested to use handbrake and the apple tv2 setting. I did this on 2 movies and i am not happy with the quality. I can see the quality degradation and pixelation even on my 15" MBP let alone when i stream it to my 46" Sony LCD (right now streaming with a ps3 as i didn't get the appletv yet). The movies are coming out to about 1GB each, which would be great if they were good quality. I don't mind going 2gb a dvd as space is cheap these days. I just want to do this once for each movie so i can play on my ipad iphone and most important the tv. Since the size doesn't matter to me that much (i would only toss 2-3 movies at a time onto my devices 16gb ipad 2 and 32gb ip4), what can i do for settings? thanks so much in advance.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Try bumping the quality slider down to 20, and if that's not good enough, 19. (Lower = better for this). I rip Blue Rays and have it at 19. Makes each about 3.5-4.5gb. DVD size ends up at about 1.6.

audiofx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
Try bumping the quality slider down to 20, and if that's not good enough, 19. (Lower = better for this). I rip Blue Rays and have it at 19. Makes each about 3.5-4.5gb. DVD size ends up at about 1.6.

the apple tv 2 defaults to 20. i will try 20 and see the difference. Any reason it changes the resolution i guess for ipad and iphone? its 368 instead of 480 by default.

audiofx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
the quality is still not good at 18.25, you see pixelation if you look hard even on a macbook pro 15" (2011). File still comes to 1.28gb for 2 hour movie. Should i try doing 2 pass ? just not happy with the default settings. I am trying to get this down so i can start ripping everything the same way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.