Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JackieInCo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. JackieInCo macrumors 601

After buying an Apple TV 2 two years ago and not being able to use it till now, I finally have it setup on my new HDTV. Very pleased with both purchases. I can finally stop watching shows through my small 24" Samsung monitor through my MacBook.

I haven't checked what firmware is on there yet. just connected it and couldnt wait to try out a movie purchase.

Can the Apple TV 2 upgrade to the latest version so that I can watch Netflix? If not, I bought a smart TV so I can just watch it through there.

Thanks! :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Isn't Netflix already on it? Regardless, yes, you should be able to get the latest software update on it. I have both an ATV 2 and ATV 3 and they both are up-to-date.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Both the :apple:TV 2 and 3 should be able to run the latest version of software (6.2), and yes, Netflix should be available to you on the :apple:TV 2 :)

4. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

If you don't intend to jallbrake it you might want to consider selling it and get a new ATV 3. The ATV 2 sells for a premium because it can be jailbroken (and the ATV 3 can't).

5. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

It is already on there. I just saw that. Thanks.

I'll hang on to it because I will eventually get another HDTV for the upstairs and Ill get the latest Apple TV for it.

Thanks for the help!

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Keep in mind that when iOS 8 ships some time in the fall, the Apple TV 2 will not be receiving an update to go with 8.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Big whoop, gets Airplay without being on the same network? How many people don't have their AppleTV on their home network at home.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

We don't really know what new features the new Apple TV update will bring. Apple may have included only the features that developers will interact with in the beta.
    Since there's no 3rd party development for the Apple TV as of now, there's no need for Apple to release a full beta.
    In any case, maybe the OP cares.

9. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I'll wait to see what happens. Like I said, I will be buying at least one ATV3 soon.

10. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

There doesn't seem to be a way to keep track of purchased shows that I have watched like there is in iTunes. Anyone have any hints in this?

11. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Indeed,
    A jailbroken ATV2 is really nice with xbmc and some of the addons/plugins
    But the interface was a bit slow.
    After owning several atv2 for years, I decided to dump two of them just over a year ago, each sold for $300 usd net after fees.
    Proceeds of one sale paid for a local purchase used i5 mac mini and a used ATV3
    The mini can do everything and much more compared to a jailbroken atv2 ;)
    Banked the other $300

12. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I was trying to decide between the i5 Mac Mini or, finally put the ATV2 to use and buy an HDTV. I bought the HDTV since I would have just used the Mini for the same purpose anyways but on my 24" Samsung monitor. I think I made the better choice for me.

13. cynics macrumors G3

He's saying if you don't plan on jail breaking it you might as well sell it and with the money you could but 2 brand new AppleTV 3's which would be better for you (1080p).

14. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I understand. I have two iPads and a 5S jailbroken so I may end up doing the same to the ATV2.