Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It seems this new Apple TV, while very enticing is being released with pretty modest specs.

There already seems to be a bunch of more (or less) easy to add attractive upgrades in the pipeline:
  • 4k support
  • A9X cpu
  • 3D touch remote
  • Homekit hub
  • TV partnerships
  • Streaming service
  • Original content
  • (minijack in the remote ala PS4/Roku)
Some of these are just me wishing, but some are already heavily rumored (homekit/partnerships/streaming/original content).

Seems to me that Apple could have a very strong Apple TV related announcement some time around Q2-Q3 next year, maybe combined with an Apple Watch event.

Again, I'm not ragging on the Apple TV we were just presented with, I can't wait to get my hands on it, and wont complain when I'm in a year's time will feel inclined to buy its successor.

What do you guys think we have in store? :)

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I think we have a lot of fools worrying about obsolescense way too soon and confusing a rumored trial production with product release. The hysteria is funny though.

Reactions: chabig

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
4K imo is a pipe dream for the next model unless Apple starts requesting content providers to start putting 4K tv shows and movies in the iTunes Store. Just before the atv3 launched Apple requested 1080p movies be added which were no use before since the atv2 only supported 720p output.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really think the sales of the new ATV are very strong. Apple probably realizes they can upgrade it every year and people will upgrade. I could see a new one next year, but would also not be surprised if there was not one.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I bet the cycle is more like every 2 years and you can be 100% sure that when that next model comes it WILL have 4k and iTunes will offer 4k material for rent and purchase.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I bet the cycle is more like every 2 years and you can be 100% sure that when that next model comes it WILL have 4k and iTunes will offer 4k material for rent and purchase.

This seems more likely. I dunno what all the fuss is over 4K right now. Pay a premium to upscale 1080p/720p content?? No thanks. Call me when networks start broadcasting 4K OTA.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This seems more likely. I dunno what all the fuss is over 4K right now. Pay a premium to upscale 1080p/720p content?? No thanks. Call me when networks start broadcasting 4K OTA.
But...it's a bigger number. It must be better!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Seems to me that Apple could have a very strong Apple TV related announcement some time around Q2-Q3 next year, maybe combined with an Apple Watch event.

It'll be on iPhone event. By that time I'll enjoy this one for a full year. :)

Guess your list has nailed everything apart from software side.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Yup, sounds fairly interesting. My atv4 will go into the bedroom or gym or study or somewhere else when the new one comes. Can't say I'm on the edge of my seat for most of those things though. Much more important that good apps start coming out for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.