Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Searching didn't turn up anything very informative on whether there is any noticeable difference in wifi reception between the original 2012 Apple TV 3 and the 2013 revision, other than an Anandtech review that shows no real change. Given the possibility of sample variation, I'm wondering if anyone noticed any differences between the two versions? I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 version but all other things being equal would rather buy one new or buy a refurb from Apple for the warranty.

Thanks for any info.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
There's not much to warranty, no moving parts, and while electrical components can die, i haven't seen too much in the forums about dead units.

there was a recall on certain aTV 3 units due to some wifi issues. I had one go out before the recall came out, the wi-fi just dies.

if you're getting a discount on the 2012 version, i'd go for that, then if/when the next version comes out, you won't be out as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.