Apple TV 3 AirPLay audio trouble

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kraftwerk, Dec 22, 2013.

1. kraftwerk macrumors newbie

kraftwerk

I have two Apple TV 3s, both updated to latest.

I'm getting no audio when I try to play anything via AirPlay from my iPhone 5, mirroring or not. Video yes, audio no.

With my MacBook Pro, I can play music from iTunes via AirPlay, but when I try to play music via the Apple TV interface, I get no audio. The screen displays artwork etc, as well as the elapsed time bar showing the track is playing, but no audio.

When I use AirParrot app on my MacBook to play content via Apple TV, I get crystal clear audio and video.

iTunes movies, Netflix, everything else on Apple TV is fine with audio and video.

I've looked for a solution all over, but although it appears many have had similar issues, there seems not to be one as far as I can see.

HELP!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

There are separate volume levels for all the outputs (headphones, internal speakers, airplay, ...)
    Have you tried the volume buttons on your phone?

3. kraftwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

kraftwerk

Yep, tried volume buttons and all manner of other things (reboot network router, reboot Apple TVs, reboot iPhone etc etc) and this problem has just suddenly appeared on both of my Apple TVs at the same time. It has to be update-related as I never had a moment's trouble before and I haven't changed anything.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is an ATV Audio Output setting, switch from auto to 16 bits and see what happens.

5. kraftwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

kraftwerk

Tried that. Nothing happens. I've tried every possible permutation, every possible adjustment, resets, reboots etc. Nothing helps, and this has happened to both of my Apple TVs at the same time, I having changed nothing in the meantime and they were both working fine for ever.

Seems to me its an update-related problem.

6. kraftwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

kraftwerk

Solved! Had a service call with Apple this morning. Shut down router, shut down Apple TVs. Restart router and wait for it to get fully active; restart Apple TVs and do a reset. Such a palaver and still no idea why the Apple TV would do this when i changed nothing. I blame the last update. Relieved to get them working again.

7. cynics macrumors G3

I had this exact issue. I had to reboot the ATV (although you said you tried that). But for those that don't know you press menu + down on the remote until the LED flashes really fast on the ATV.

No data/info/passwords/etc is lost by doing this. Just clears out whatever from the ATV.