Apple TV 3 and multiple photo libraries viewing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mtbdudex, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mtbdudex, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I've got a AppleTV Gen 1 with 160GB hard drive, it syncs to whatever I tell it in iTunes.

That's a royal PIA for me, a hobbyist photographer, I use Aperture with 9 different aperture libraries.....

I have to go into Aperture, choose the specific aperture library, then exit it.

Then go into iTunes, select aperture, then it will sync to that.....way too time consuming, and sync takes long-long time

I bought a Apple TV Gen 3, not opened yet.

If I decide to keep and open that, can I on the fly from the Apple TV Gen 3 menu on the HDTV tell it what aperture photo library to view for slideshows?

Or is that still dictated by iTunes?

2. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

So it's safe to say that nobody (in this forum) with Apple TV Gen3 uses more than 1 iPhoto/Aperture library?

I have zero responses to this question.....

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The current Apple TV doesn't really "sync" to anything, there is no local storage, all the content comes from a computer via home sharing. The only thing I do with photos on mine is use them as a screen saver.

In the screen saver settings menu, if you choose computers you can select any on your network that have home sharing enabled with you Apple ID. You can then choose any folder/subfolder with photos that you have selected in iTunes on your computer.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what's possible. Sorry...

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

you can sync your Aperture libraries to iPhoto library. And with the Apple TV, then view those photos. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202461

But I think you will need a current Apple TV model for that as i don't believe the 1st gen apple tv can.