Apple TV 3 audio output

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Daveja207, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Daveja207 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been reading MacRumors for a while now.

I have just bought an Apple TV 4 and want to use my Apple TV 3 it has replaced to stream music to in another room. I have an HDMI to VGA adapter which has a 3.5mm jack for the audio and wanted to use that to get the job done. I used a computer monitor to set up the ATV3, plugged my sound dock into the HDMI to VGA device with a 3.5mm audio cable. I played some music on my iPhone and switched on AirPlay. Everything was working great until I unplugged the VGA cable and the audio cut out and would only play when the monitor was plugged in.

Unless I am missing something in the settings it seems I cannot have audio output through the HDMI without a display on the other end.

Is there a way I can get the audio output from the HDMI without a TV or monitor connected or alter the VGA cable/connector to fool the ATV that a display is connected?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Daveja207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will that need power to it? I only have 2 socket available and they're both been used.

Could the problem be that the adaptor I'm using at the moment doesn't have a power supply so the ATV assumes whatever it is connected to is turned off?

3. Daveja207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, plugging the micro USB into the adaptor did not work. But I did find out that the monitor does not need to be plugged into the mains for it to work. So I will have to hide the monitor under the bed, not plugged in. It's annoying me a bit but at least it's working now.

If anyone knows any other way I can solve this without having to have a dead monitor hidden away I would be grateful.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Do you have a link to the product you are using now?

I would use this connected to the toslink port rather than the HDMI adapter listed above. http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETDTA...qid=1447786065&sr=1-2&keywords=toslink+to+rca

Yes, you'll have to plug it in to the wall though.

If you really just want music, you might just want to buy an old-style Airport Express. Plug and audio jack is built in, and there is no need to connect it to a monitor to manage it.

5. Daveja207 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

That must have a basic DAC in it to perform the audio conversion. Odd that it doesn't work without being plugged into the monitor. The device I linked is cheap and will definitely work.

7. Daveja207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, i'll have a look on payday.

I know this is a long shot, maybe not even possible, do you know if there is any way I can link the pins/wires in the VGA cable. I only ask this because this is what much be happening when it is attached to the monitor which has no power to it.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

9. Daveja207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I didn't know they existed. I've found a guide showing the pin-out for the cable and where to connect resistors and I'm confident I can put one together.

Never worked in IT but have been in electrical engineering for years, i'll get a few resistors, fire up my soldering iron and sacrifice an old VGA cable.