Apple TV 3 Handbrake Audio Selections

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaysue, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

I thought maybe someone can help me with my problem, iv'e been on Google looking for awhile and got some mixed results, any way i have an Apple TV 3 and just got a surround sound receiver so i'm trying to a achieve 5.1 Dolby Digital, now if i'm correct, (because of my receiver showing Dolby Digital) for a normal DVD i select my audio track, then Audio Codec as AC3 Passthru, and Mixdown as none, but for Blu-ray my option for the audio track are all DTS tracks and think the new Apple TV doesn't support DTS so can i still mix down to just 5.1 Dolby Digital? Which Audio Codec should i choose to get the best sound?

thanks.

2. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

This thread might help: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1393790

3. jaysue thread starter macrumors regular

jaysue

Thanks for the reply

So it looks like this is maybe the is the best way to go? Basically the default, except for the 6-channel discrete.

DTS HD MA --> AAC (faac), Pro Logic 2, Auto, 160

DTS HD MA --> AC3 (ffmpeg), 6 channel discrete, Auto, 640

Which channel is for the digital audio for your receiver and which is for playing it through like your TV speakers?

4. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Sure. AAC is the stereo track which i use w/ tv speakers; AC3 is the surround track used by our receiver. Does that answer you question?

5. jaysue thread starter macrumors regular

jaysue