Apple tv 3 has an a5 chip, why can't they put app store.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I think they know what they want; to be able to offer pay per view and subscription like apps for content providers. The problem is they're trying to figure out pricing and deals... That's what I think.
I agree.

clarkie604

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Why would you pay 50-100$ more for a feature that's designed to make Apple more money????? It would probably cost them little to no money to put the apps store on the ATV and they would profit greatly from all the app sales, so why would you want to pay extra for it?????
Little to no money to develop an app store for AppleTV? Uhhh, no. Apple would have to make a significant investment to develop an ATV app store. Whether they will increase the cost of ATV to cover that investment is another story, but developing good software is expensive.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Little to no money to develop an app store for AppleTV? Uhhh, no. Apple would have to make a significant investment to develop an ATV app store. Whether they will increase the cost of ATV to cover that investment is another story, but developing good software is expensive.
Don't talk stupid, you do know that athe ATV runs iOS right? So all Apple needs to do is modify the existing iOS app store, you know that one that runs on iPAD, to run on the ATV, their not starting from scratch developing a new piece of software they've got all the code to reuse, hence little to no money and not a "significant investment" at all.

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
And make it 50-100$ more. I love the atv it's so different from any other apple device and stopped using cable due to it.
I am just wondering why can't they just maybe add a few games, use the remote as a control.
I know 1080p is hard on an a5, but a small game like angry birds won't hurt.
Why can't they do it?
It's not that they can't do it. They choose not to. They're being very deliberate about content additions to the ATV. Just look at the recent addition of Huluplus to the ATV as an example.

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
Small market. The Apple TV hasn't really rocked Apple's revenue much. Apple's focused on the ones who do, and cares a lot less about the ones who doesn't (Just like any other business). Ever wondered why Apple doesn't air Apple TV ads, but has a lot of Siri ads?

In fact, the market's so small, I have never seen anyone having an Apple TV. The last time I saw one was on the Apple store, and it's not even the latest edition.

I asked my colleagues ipwhat they think about the Apple TV. Their answers were quite surprising.

Here it is:

I guess we both know how that disappointing conversation ended.
I don't know if the market size is the answer here, in terms of providing Apple with motivation to elevate the ATV to something other than a hobby.
After all, they sold more of them than Microsoft did XBox 360s last quarter.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
It's not that they can't do it. They choose not to. They're being very deliberate about content additions to the ATV. Just look at the recent addition of Huluplus to the ATV as an example.
Even if they continue to be restrictive in terms of available content, I'd still like to have an AppStore-like interface to decide which (pre-approved) apps I want. Right now my interface is cluttered with content I either cannot use where I live (Netflix, Hulu...) or have no interest in (MLB etc.). I realise that there are pre-installed apps on other iOS devices as well, but come on: MLB in particular is irrelevant to almost everybody outside the US.

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
Even if they continue to be restrictive in terms of available content, I'd still like to have an AppStore-like interface to decide which (pre-approved) apps I want. Right now my interface is cluttered with content I either cannot use where I live (Netflix, Hulu...) or have no interest in (MLB etc.). I realise that there are pre-installed apps on other iOS devices as well, but come on: MLB in particular is irrelevant to almost everybody outside the US.
I think that experiences like yours are exactly the reason why Apple still calls the ATV is a hobby. Can you imagine the dissatisfaction if Apple presented it as a fully-baked device? Content deals in every country it's offered is going to be critical for it to succeed.