Apple TV 3/software version 5.0's best feature...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 0dev, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

...IMO, is the ability to actually buy movies from iTunes again. Apple was stupid to ever remove it from the ATV 2 and I never upgraded from my ATV 1 for that very reason, but now I plan to go to the 3 when it's released next week :)

Anyone else agree?

2. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's a shame it's not available in the UK yet. Also, something that annoys me is that you still can't choose between SD or HD when buying unless you go into settings which is very annoying, you should have the option of buying either all on one page.

3. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Universal and Fox movies are not available at this time for purchase through the APPLE TV

4. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Indeed, can't do that on the ATV1 either. I'm guessing the default setting is HD though?

Why not? I can buy those films from iTunes and from my ATV1.

5. roidy macrumors 6502a

Can't do what on the ATV1, choose between SD or HD on the purchase page when buying? Because if it's available in both SD and HD then you actually can.

Anyway the best new feature, I think, is the new top menu bar when you go into the different sections, so simple but very useful in that it saves you having to go right back out to the main menu.

6. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I usually get options to rent in SD or HD but then I just get one "buy" button which doesn't say what definition it is.

7. roidy macrumors 6502a

If it dosen't say on the button then it's only available SD regardless of which ATV model you use. If on the other hand it's available to buy in both SD and HD then on the ATV1 you get the option which you want to purchase right from the movies page, unlike the ATV2 which only shown you the SD or HD version depending on the setting you've chosen in the iTunes Store menu.

8. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

And on the ATV3 assume it'll be the same, so I'll have to make sure I have the right setting if I want HD?

9. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

That's what I was talking about; sorry if my description is a bit rubbish. But yeah, its very annoying

10. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yep, I knew what you were talking about, it was 0dev that was a bit confused:D saying you couldn't do it on the ATV1 when infact you can.

----------

Yep, but it still tells you on the purchase button weather or not it's HD, so there's never any confusion about which version you're going to buy.

11. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev