Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
RT @appletvhacks: New Apple TV user interface is available today for 2nd gen atv. Don't update if you don't want to lose your jailbreak! http://t.co/DWD3HxpZ

Somebody update and post a video of the interface

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Will we actually know if the apple tv processor is updated before we order? Or will we have to wait until people start receiving them or they are sold in store? I'd hate to pre-order today and get the exact same apple tv that I have sitting next to my tv right now.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
So, 1080p including A5 to support that resolution and re-do of GUI. Is that it or am I missing something. I'll assume functionality will come latter with iOS updates.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Just updated; single core A5.

Yup - when I posted it was displaying the old text with an image of the A5. Seems they have changed it to the new specs.

Disappointing it's still only supporting 16bit/48khz audio for movies.

Guessing that means they will still force Apple lossless to that same sample rate.

catskinsox

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Just updated; single core A5.

Still don't understand if 1080p content is just another option in the iTunes store, or if the AppleTV v2 will somehow be able to play a 1080p file downsized to 720p "on-the-fly"...

Probably another option. On the iTunes store, if you look at the file sizes for the movies, it used to list 3.46 GB (HD), 1.27 GB (SD) (or whatever). Now it is (720p HD) and (SD). I would assume there will eventually be a (1080p HD) option as well.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Probably another option. On the iTunes store, if you look at the file sizes for the movies, it used to list 3.46 GB (HD), 1.27 GB (SD) (or whatever). Now it is (720p HD) and (SD). I would assume there will eventually be a (1080p HD) option as well.

Interesting... thanks for posting. I can't access my home iMac at the moment so was unable to look into this myself.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
No earthshaking news for ATV today. The 1080 is a marginal improvement. What they need is more streaming content (and no, the NHL Channel doesn't count lol). No way I'm replacing my ATV2 for this. I'm not replacing either my iPad1 or iPad2 either. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Just got mine for Christmas so I'm new to the game. Is a software upgrade to the new UI likely?

RT @appletvhacks: New Apple TV user interface is available today for 2nd gen atv. Don't update if you don't want to lose your jailbreak! http://t.co/DWD3HxpZ

Somebody update and post a video of the interface

I'm excited - we're getting the update? :)

So, I have an :apple:TV, but I don't really follow its progress. It seems as though the only thing new to the :apple:TV is its software? (Kind of like the 6th gen iPod Nano from 2010 and 2011, which both have the same UI?) And the A5*; if I'm not mistaken the previous one has the A4. Correct?

I'm still a little blurry on this one. I haven't watched an entire event all the way through since Steve left us, so I didn't pick up all of today's details.

Is there a comparison chart between the 2? I'm extremely unclear about the update, and not ashamed to admit it. :p

Last edited:

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Nobody cares that its only the A5 & not the A5x like the ipad 3 ?

Not sure how useful the A5X would be. Everything the Apple TV 3 can do now, the iPad 2 is also able to do. Why spend the resources for (what I assume) is a more expensive part when the older, cheaper part will get the job done?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Not sure how useful the A5X would be. Everything the Apple TV 3 can do now, the iPad 2 is also able to do. Why spend the resources for (what I assume) is a more expensive part when the older, cheaper part will get the job done?

Dont settle for less

Can the ipad 2 stream 720p from icefilms without skipping ?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I thought they might have upgraded the Ethernet port to support Gigabit connections but looks like no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.