Apple tv 3 tvos

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jordan246, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

does anyone have any idea if the 3rd gen apple tv will get any sort of update to the software like a new version of the software or a different version of the tvos. If anyone knows let me know thanks

2. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Would like to know this as well, would love if Apple upgraded our Apple TV 3's operating system to look like tvOS with the all new interface and icons

3. noanker macrumors member

noanker

Obviously the 3rd gen ATV cannot run Siri or perform some of the features the 4th gen can.

I asked this question not too long ago on here.The poster replying to me stated they thought the interface would remain the same for 3rd gen ATVs. We can only guess as to what will happen, as with anything Apple, we'll have to see what drops with the release of the new ATV. Apple could surprise us with a slight makeover for 3rd gen users.

The 3rd gen is still for sale at Apple and would hope Apple might freshen the interface for some consistency appearance-wise with tvOS. I have no plans to run out and replace my 2nd or 3rd gen ATVs. One reason I'm reluctant to upgrade is I have both ATVs feeding a TosLink audio output going into both home theater units. The new ATV lacks that feature. Booo.:(

4. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

yea i dont plan on upgrading either, i could care less for apps on the tv, i just want the upgraded interface of TVos as the current apple tv interface looks dated and boring, the new tv OS interface looks so much fresher and better.

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

The ATV 3 may not have the horsepower to run much of the little touches such as parallax images and backgrounds fluidity, so they'd likely leave that out and obviously Siri is out of the question.

But there's always the possibility they will do a slight refresh to unify it a bit. Other than colour schemes, is there much of a difference between them when you take out everything the ATV 3 couldn't do.

Of course this being Apple it's also not unheard of them to leave the older hardware behind design wise to distinguish it from the new models.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

If I had to guess they will probably make some cosmetic changes like updating the channel icons to the new ones, but not much more. I never had a problem with the UI, so I don't really see a need for big changes.