Apple TV 3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 81Tiger04, Dec 6, 2011.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

2. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the links in reference to the rumored TV SET. However, I am referring to the little black box that costs $99 and that would be 3rd of the product.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is an uber secretive company and to that point there has only been speculation and rumors regarding this. Nothing from apple and so its just wild guesses at this point

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Normally Manage

To get some info. from my Apple Guru, and friends, but on the ATV3 I just get " I can't tell you anything about an ATV3 at the moment. I read this as "Somethings coming soon" But Nothing official; yet.

I'm happy with my 2nd generation, it does everything I need it to do, and Apple have had Mega bucks from me this year....Need to save a little or break some new Bands and videos... (which is why I upgraded all mt stuff in the first place):)

6. Rondofan9 macrumors member

The apple television will most likely replace the ATV... Once an apple television is released I don't foresee them continuing to release apple tv's. Releasing them means that anyone can hook it up to their current television so they would get less sells on their televisions. Also releasing them means they waste more time developing software and OS for the atvs when they could be working on a television. Typical "macrumor" debate, but just my hypothesis.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Was thinking about picking up an ATV2 but now i'm not too sure. Apple online seem to have stock but you can't get them from Argos, Currys, Comet, PCworld in my area.

Do I, Don't I? :eek:

8. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Thinking exactly the same thing. That said, my NAS is in my front hall and if i got an ATV, I could use the airport express being used for Airplay in my sitting room to move the NAS upstairs as an added bonus.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've been holding off for about a year hoping that the ATV3 was going to be released soon but last night I finally relented and ordered the damn thing.

I figure $95 isn't that much to begin with so when the ATV3 is released I'll end up with one in the bedroom.

I also expect now that I bought one for the ATV3 to be released any day :eek:

10. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

OP - no news on the ATV3 in normal Apple fashion. Some doubt whether it will ever be upgraded if the rumoured TV set is released. That's probably at least 6 months away in any case.

Given that I don't really need a new TV, would be reluctant to go for a 1st gen Apple TV set and £99 is a decent price, I may just go ahead and buy ATV2 and watch how things pan out

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I ended up buying two for xmas since one was held up in shipping I had to stop at the Apple store to pick one up I planned on giving to my father.

So Tuesday I got the other one that seemed to be backed up in the shipping process. I was really hoping for the next gereration to come out...but hell it's only $100 and it will go on my bedroom TV.

What I would like to see is an app store be brought to the ATV2 or the next version.

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I REALLY hope this is not the case...I'll be really pissed. If that does end up happening, then I'm probably going to abandon buying TV/movies through iTMS, find a way to remove the DRM from the stuff I've already bought, and then start using another vendor (Amazon) with another device (Roku?) that can do 1080p. Sick to death of the limitations imposed by the ATV2, and about to give up on Apple.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I agree, and the rumor is they are only building 32" and 37" TV's right now. If they stop making the current line of ATV's I don't think it will work out too well. 32" works ok for my bedroom, but I need something larger....and affordable in my living room.