Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have one and love it. What are the major advantages besides SIRI of the ATV 4? I also hear the 4 can download apps like amazon streaming among others that are not supported on the ATV 3. Thanks...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have one and love it. What are the major advantages besides SIRI of the ATV 4? I also hear the 4 can download apps like amazon streaming among others that are not supported on the ATV 3. Thanks...
There's no Amazon app for the ATV 4.

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
There are a lot of other apps. Plenty of sites have reviewed the thing in detail.

Yup, if you love ATV3 I feel you'll really love ATV4. What's new, look it up but there is quite a bit new. The remote alone is a huge leap.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I have 2 ATV3s and 1 ATV4. The ATV 4 has these core benefits in my opinion:
  • Apple Music - Radio, Browse, Library, etc. They took this off the ATV3 so if you pay for Apple Music, you'll want the ATV4.
  • Other music apps - if you have other music subscriptions, or maintain your own library, the ATV4 has the most options with having an App Store
  • Plex - handy app if you use it (or pay for the premium services)
  • PlayStation Vue (or similar) - Most of those live-tv services like PS Vue, Sling or DirecTV Now have apps for ATV4
  • AMC, Comedy Central, TNT, Crunchyroll, Crackle, etc - Basically every channel or service that has an app is already on the app store.
  • The Remote - as much as I like the old silver remote, the new remote has a few features I like - especially volume control. It's also rechargeable (iOS/lightning).
  • Faster WiFi - 802.11n vs 802.11ac (MIMO)
  • Bluetooth 4.0 - Bluetooth speakers and headsets
  • Home Sharing - I suspect a later version of iTunes will no longer support Home Sharing (or Apple will move it to the TV App and drop LAN streaming support of the ATV3 complete). Currently, the beta version of iTunes I'm using supports ATV4 but not ATV3.
CONs
  • No optical audio out
  • USB-C for management/deployment
I also like the MLB.tv app on the ATV4 more than the ATV3. I haven't checked if its still supported this season though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.