Apple Tv 3rd Gen with Synology DS214play

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Kennarded, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Kennarded macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    As a newby synology ds214play owner, I was wondering if anyone can provide instructions to setup with Apple TV for streaming of my movies?

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

There is a hack that will allow you to access a plex server from AppleTV - search for Plex on Apple TV to find instructions - but it is a hack, not standard operations for the ATv.

To just use the ATv as it is intended, you need to have iTunes running on a Mac or Windows PC. So in this case, you just put your library on a share, mount the share on your computer and then add files to iTunes Library from that location.

The "iTunes Server" on Synology (or any other NAS device) does NOT work with AppleTv. It just creates a shared iTunes Library, it does not do Home Sharing.

You can move your library to the NAS share from within iTunes, or you can configure iTunes to not copy media to it's default location and just have a link to the file that exists on the NAS.

Be careful with using a NAS with iTunes. You need to make sure that the share is mounted BEFORE launching iTunes, or chaos will ensue.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

NOPE.

the 214play has a hardware transcoder so you do not need Plex. Just download the Synology app on your ios device and launch it. It will connect to your synology on your network. The app will let the 214play airplay directly to the apple tv

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Assuming you have another iOS device you can do as 2010mini stated, but otherwise you have to do the Plex Connect "hack" to get Plex to work. There is no way to do home sharing from the Synology. It's one of the reasons why I haven't found a need for a NAS at my house. I can't seem to find any valid reason to spend a bunch of money on something that a Mini with a DAS already does and the Mini w/ DAS gives me greater flexibility (especially considering the low power nature of the Mini at idle). Heck I use Plex running on my Mini and that I could setup directly on a NAS, but it would take a long time to recoup the cost of the NAS with any power savings with using a NAS instead of a Mini and I give up a LOT of flexibility (I use OSX Server for Caching updates, Centralized Time Machine, etc. etc.).

5. Kennarded thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple TV was a gift and was hoping if there was a way around it.

I will review the Plex Connect option as well as the comment from 2010mini. Which Synology app would this be? DS File or DS video? Not in front of my setup at the moment and wanted to utilise your knowledge before I get home.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/340

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

another forum member answered this question:

8. pmcdunnough macrumors member

You would use DS Video. With the latest Synology upgrades you'd also want to install DS File. Plex won't take advantage of the neat transcoding capabilities of the Play models so running the Plex Media Server on your NAS will be very limiting. Mind you most files will only require remuxing so you might be ok with Plex Connect and the Plex Media Server on the NAS. The latest versions of the Synology OS run dnsmasq automatically which causes problems with Plex Connect. You can just telnet in and kill that process. There is a workaround but it seems tricky.

9. bervidote macrumors newbie

great, It just creates a shared iTunes Library, it does not do Home Sharing.[​IMG]

10. orestes1984, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

The only work around to run iTunes without a dedicated PC is a hosted virtual machine running a copy of iTunes off the same disk. You can run Virtual Box completely headless with no GUI ;) A bit of a masochistic overkill but if you want to run iTunes purely as a service that's your option.

With a reasonably powerful smart NAS rather than just a dumb disk array you can run a headless iTunes server off of one. Something like a HP ProLiant MicroServer would do the trick, they're not very powerful, but if all you need is a copy of windows running iTunes in a VM it should do the trick.

11. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d