Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I had an Apple TV 3 before I bought the 4, and I didn't notice this issue nearly as much. The dark/black images seem extremely pixelated and washed out. I noticed it a lot when watching "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House." It was extremely distracting. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a setting I could change to fix it? I'm not expecting Blu-ray quality, but as I mentioned, I didn't have this issue with the ATV3.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had an Apple TV 3 before I bought the 4, and I didn't notice this issue nearly as much. The dark/black images seem extremely pixelated and washed out. I noticed it a lot when watching "I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House." It was extremely distracting. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a setting I could change to fix it? I'm not expecting Blu-ray quality, but as I mentioned, I didn't have this issue with the ATV3.

Artifacts in blacks (usually a pixelated line as the shades change) is generally a result of video compression. Its one of the things I use to gauge the quality of an encode.

What service are you using to watch that show/movie (not familiar with it)?

If its from a streaming service like Hulu, Netflix, whatever it can likely be made not as noticeable by adjusting brightness and contrast correctly. Goto settings > audio and video > color bars, about 1/3 from the bottom there is a graduated black to white bar. Make sure you can't see the difference between the left 2 blacks furthest on the scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.