Apple TV 4 Buffering

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jwc6160, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jwc6160 macrumors member

I just switched to Att gigapower and have noticed that my Apple TV is buffering when my kids watch Netflix or other shows. It seems to be happening more often now than it did when I have a way slower connection. It is connect over wifi, but my speeds are at a minimum 40 down. Why would I be buffering more with a faster connection?

2. rolsskk macrumors 6502

It could be anything. Have you changed anything else aside from your ISP?

3. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

No, I just changed providers which was supposed to give me faster speeds to prevent this sort of thing.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Does seem like a speed or speed consistency issue.
    When you say download speed. Are you testing it from the Apple TV 4 Directly? There is a free SpeedTest App for the Apple TV. That would help if you are having some local network issues or WiFi issues. Also, run at different times per day to see a pattern.
    I know you are on WiFi and that does not have to be a problem. But Ethernet seems to give a more reliable connection. Are you using 802.11ac now for WiFi? To get that you would need to be on a pretty current Router so maybe it could be something a New WiFi Router would help with.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

if they are using an AC router, then they'll get faster speeds over wireless, since the port on the aTV is 10/100

I've got time warner 200/20, and tested using speed test on the aTV, was confused why i only got 100 down, till i realized i was on wired ethernet.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I understand. I wish the ATV 4 had a 10/100/1000 Ethernet Port. Anyway, I do use Ethernet for all but 1 of my ATV 4's. I just feel that Ethernet is more reliable. And of course the more WiFi you have going at the same time will reduce the available bandwidth and I have a lot of devices (starting with 8 ATV4's).