Apple TV 4 constantly waking Mac mini for home sharing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Denziloshamen, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Denziloshamen macrumors member

I'm pretty sure my old ATV2 could access home sharing without actually bringing my Mac mini out of sleep. I've not touched any settings on my Mac mini, so it has to be down to the ATV4. So now, every time I brush over the computers app, my Mac wakes up fully and then I gave to manually sleep it afterwards otherwise it stays on all the time. As I don't want my Mac awake all the time, I want to get the set up right again so that the ATV4 can access the home sharing files whilst the Mac mini remains slept.

Is anyone else having this issue and managed to resolve it?

2. Denziloshamen thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I resolved this pretty quickly by testing the behaviour of home sharing on my iPad. The iPad wakes the Mac up like the Apple TV does, but the Mac turns off a lot quicker when the iPad stops the home sharing request.

The ATV4 keeps the Mac on the whole time it is on once the home hearing request has been sent. So if I request home sharing and then move to Netflix or something else, the Mac mini seems to stay on until the ATV4 is fully turned off. But it seems that the Mac takes longer to shut down after the ATV4 sharing has finished than the iPad. This of course left me thinking the Mac wasn't shutting down at all, when it actually does eventually.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

try force quitting the app, and see if the request goes away

on the home screen. double tap the home button, you can then left/right to select the app, and swipe up to quit it.