Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
I remember hearing how the new Apple TV was going to be some kind of HomeKit 'hub' but I'm not seeing it and maybe I just don't get it but is there something I'm missing?

It would be great if we could get some sort of 'Amazon Echo' functionality out of it. I see this as a greatly missed opportunity. Any thoughts?

daveplotty

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
The one feature I have always liked the idea of using Siri on my iPhone to control my Apple TV. I can't understand why its not possible at the moment to ask Siri on my iPhone to even just switch on/off the ATV.

Probably going to release this one day as an amazing new update!

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I can't understand why its not possible at the moment to ask Siri on my iPhone to even just switch on/off the ATV.
Apple has already announced that an app is in development that fully duplicates the functionality of the Siri Remote.
[doublepost=1460410142][/doublepost]
I've read that already... So basically, all the Apple TV does is allows me to use Siri away from home? Not really all that interesting or forward thinking.
Doesn't sound like you read it fully -- if you had, there'd be no need for this topic, the article is about as comprehensive as it gets -- video and all. Sounds like you might be happier with a FireTV and Alexa.

Last edited:

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Apple has already announced that an app is in development that fully duplicates the functionality of the Siri Remote.
[doublepost=1460410142][/doublepost]
Doesn't sound like you read it fully -- if you had, there'd be no need for this topic, the article is about as comprehensive as it gets -- video and all. Sounds like you might be happier with a FireTV and Alexa.
no need to be snarky... I just think the feature set is lacking.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
If only you'd researched the features more fully prior to purchasing it, maybe return it and get your money back -- good luck!
I actually love my apple tv's... It just seems like the HomeKit features are an afterthought throughout apple's ecosystem. Thanks!

tpfenner

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2016
I actually love my apple tv's... It just seems like the HomeKit features are an afterthought throughout apple's ecosystem. Thanks!

Homekit is definitely an afterthought. With so many protocols out there it seems like apple is really just letting everyone else figure it out. The biggest problem is that apple requires anything that uses home kit to be almost too secure that it limits options. Not that security isn't a good thing in regards so controlling your home from away. But it makes it almost impossible for home kit to be similar to Samsung's Smart Things. I very much wanted to be able to embrace home kit for controlling my home but the only real ecosystem home kit supports is Insteon and since Insteon only makes Insteon products. Even though Insteon has many products creative visual design is not their strong suit. HomeKit is going to take time until the industry kind of figures out what it wants to be.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Homekit is working fine for me, I have 2 iHome Smart Plugs and a Philips Hue kit. It's really nice sitting at my desk at work and being able to turn the fan on in my bedroom to cool things down before I get home. Lights turn on/off automatically, separate schedules for week vs weekend. The only thing that I really want to see Apple do is add support to the Siri Remote so you can control devices with that, but I think they would need to integrate HomeKit with iCloud so Apps on different systems could share the same devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.