Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi,

I recently purchased a Apple TV 4 and moved our Apple TV 3 to the bedroom.
I have converted many of my DVDs as its much easier now in my iTunes library.

On the Apple TV 3, when I go to Computers, Movies, or TV Shows I can highlight the video I want to watch and read the summary description of the video before starting it.

On the Apple TV 4, all I can see if I swipe down and click Info is the Cast. I'm not able to see any plot summary.

In addition, on the Apple TV 3, when I add a new movie or TV show, when I click on computers, and back to the main Apple TV home screen, I would be able to see the latest 15 or so movies or tv shows i recently added to my iTunes library.

On the Apple TV 4, when you do the same, nothing is in the home screen that I recently added.

If you go to the iTunes Movies and TV Shows purchases (not homesharing), the new movies and tv shows show up.

I'm thinking this is by design as Apple wants you to purchase from iTunes instead of using your own personal library.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or if a possible bug with the current software?

Otherwise, besides these two missing items that work perfectly on my Apple TV 3, I'm pretty happy with the new Apple TV 4 unit.

Thank You,
Nick

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,

I recently purchased a Apple TV 4 and moved our Apple TV 3 to the bedroom.
I have converted many of my DVDs as its much easier now in my iTunes library.

On the Apple TV 3, when I go to Computers, Movies, or TV Shows I can highlight the video I want to watch and read the summary description of the video before starting it.

On the Apple TV 4, all I can see if I swipe down and click Info is the Cast. I'm not able to see any plot summary.

I'm not really sure what you meant there because when I highlight the movie I can see its description, cast etc. just fine. It's on the right side of the screen.

In addition, on the Apple TV 3, when I add a new movie or TV show, when I click on computers, and back to the main Apple TV home screen, I would be able to see the latest 15 or so movies or tv shows i recently added to my iTunes library.

On the Apple TV 4, when you do the same, nothing is in the home screen that I recently added.

I haven't added movies to Home Sharing for age but when I highlight the Computer app there are movie posters up there. Wondering whether they are recently added or recently watched.

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
After scrolling thru a bunch of my movies, it seems I see now see the description metadata on some but not all.
Perhaps something to do with the short description and long description fields in identify2 when I originally tag the files over time.

I'll have to test and see if I can figure out what the difference is from the ones I see the description for and the ones that are not showing up.

In regards to the Computers homesharing app, I can now see my recently added movies.
Basically I needed to move the orange computer app icon to what Apple calls top shelf. (first row as iTunes movies, iTunes tv shows, etc)

By doing so, all looks good.

The latest.

Nick

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
After scrolling thru a bunch of my movies, it seems I see now see the description metadata on some but not all.
Perhaps something to do with the short description and long description fields in identify2 when I originally tag the files over time.

I'll have to test and see if I can figure out what the difference is from the ones I see the description for and the ones that are not showing up.

I tagged with MetaX and it seems only the long description shows up (both on iTunes on Mac and Apple TV 3/4).

In regards to the Computers homesharing app, I can now see my recently added movies.
Basically I needed to move the orange computer app icon to what Apple calls top shelf. (first row as iTunes movies, iTunes tv shows, etc)

By doing so, all looks good.

Yeah.. forgot about that little detail.

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I finally was able to test re-tagging the metadata on one of my video files.

I can confirm when using the SHORT description with Identity2 the description is displayed as always on the Apple TV 3.

If I re-tag the same file including the LONG description the description finally shows up on the Apple TV 4.

Short description looks good on the Apple TV3, and the long description (additional sentence or two) looks good on the Apple TV 4 using the same video file.

That stinks. My entire ripped iTunes library only has the short description in the metadata (except the random files I found while skimming thru my library) as I figured I never needed to tag the long description as it never showed up on the Apple TV 3. =(

The funny thing is, if you right click the video in iTunes on the MAC, and then click get info, and then click description you only see the SHORT description.

But if you right click the video file again in iTunes, and instead of clicking get info, this time click show description you actually see the LONG description that was tagged in the file.

I'm hoping a bug, or something I need to enable on the Apple TV 4 or iTunes to read the short description but I doubt it.

Otherwise, lessoned learned. Going forward for future rips, tag the video file with both the SHORT and LONG descriptions so the video will be backwards compatible with both the Apple TV 3 and 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.