Apple TV 4 Remote Scroll Direction

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chipchen, Nov 1, 2015.

1. chipchen macrumors 6502

Anyone else annoyed at the scroll direction of the Apple TV 4 remote? I wonder why they went with the decision to make it a regular scroll instead of a natural scroll that they've done starting a few years ago. (Move the content not point the direction)

Anyway, I haven't found a way to reverse the scrolling. Has anyone else?

2. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

No option for it. I assumed it was like a mouse on a monitor. So it's correct, no? :)

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think it feels right as-is.

The interface for the ATV is different than that on iOS or OS X. On those platforms you typically interacting directly with the content layer. Move your fingers up on the screen, the content scrolls down. Just as if the screen were a real object.

The ATV UI is different. You are interacting not with the content layer, but with a virtual 'picker' layered on top of it. Think of it as a checkerboard with a single checker on it. With the iOS/OS X model you are touching the board directly. With the ATV model, you are moving the 'checker' around the table with your flicks. In that case, the current model is most natural. Flick the 'checker' left, and it goes left.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

This was the discussion when the new movement choice came out with OS X a few versions ago. And the same answer was said. Are you moving the screen (touch screen) or the mouse/pointer remotely. There are two different paradigms depending on the case, and, yes, this is the 'remote' case.

(I differ in OS X: why are you touching it directly there? It's still a mouse moving on the screen, no?)

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't think the important distinction is whether you are using a mouse or not, but rather which layer you are interacting with. The mouse is a separate layer from the content. Both layers move as I would expect them to if I were touching them directly. (Of course there is a level of abstraction there when using OS X, but that's always been the case from the invention of the first mouse cursor.)

6. slater-k macrumors regular

Yeah, i can't get the hang of it - in the app store, i'm always going the wrong way!
    Wish there was a way to change it :(

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Should be a pref to change this like in OS X - another strange part of ATV4

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Try holding it upside down? :)

And I'm only half-joking. The scrolling direction is completely and utterly wrong as-is.

I was also expecting to be able to use standard left edge swipes to navigate back (instead of feeling for the menu button). The whole interaction style feels half-baked. Very un-Apple. It almost feels like the design was outsourced. I left the Apple Store having no desire to buy one (and that's coming from someone who bought two of the ridiculously expensive Apple TV mark 1's and four of the subsequent models - all at full price).