Apple TV 4 Repeated Password Requests

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nightcap965, May 21, 2016.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Approximately every other day, my Apple TV 4 requires me to re-enter my Apple password. I wouldn't mind so much, but I make my passwords long and complex and it's a pain in the tuchus. I thought it might be due to disconnections with the router, but the router logs are fine. The Apple TV is hard wired to an Airport Extreme, which is hard wired to a Motorola SB 6121 router.

All of my other networked devices are fine, including the Apple TV 3 in the bedroom. Why can't Apple TV 4 remember my password?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

At some point during setup you tapped through the screen asking if you wanted your password stored, you can still turn that on though.

3. nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

i
    There is no such setting on the Apple TV 4th Generation.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

And this was the main reason I got a Bluetooth keyboard. Now its simple to put in my passcode. So far I only had to put the passcode in once. Sorry for your troubles.

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

There is on mine, it came up during my initial setup of the ATV4 -- I selected to store it, and haven't been prompted for it since. Did you call AppleCare?

6. fpnc macrumors 68000

I think after the last software update (or around then, several weeks ago) my 4th generation Apple TV randomly started asking me to login whenever I tried to use my for-pay services. However, if we are talking about the same dialog/problem then all you have to do is select the cancel button and that will dismiss the dialog and you can continue along as normal. Then, a few days later it will ask for you to log in again.

In my case, I'm pretty sure it is just a bug in the software.

7. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

I was wondering about this too. I set up ESPN and now it asked to be setup again. I thought the atv was set it and forget it?

8. nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I'm not saying that no such screen came up on initialization, I'm saying that the second part of your sentence, that you can still turn that function on, is incorrect. There is no such setting.

History: the Apple TV 4 was purchased in the beginning of November. It worked fine until an Apple ID glitch in early January told me that my iPhone had been removed as an authentication device. Since I didn't remove it, I was concerned that someone might have been trying to hack my account and changed my Apple ID password on all of my Apple devices. (A few days later, it was revealed that this was an Apple glitch and my Apple ID was secure.) At this time, I was renovating my ground floor, so the Apple TV was upstairs. Due to renovations, Internet access was sporadic, and I put the continued requests for password down to that. But now the workmen have gone, I have a proper living room, and every other day or so I still have to enter a long and complex password before I can use the Apple TV. Thank goodness the Apple Remote app now supports Apple TV 4, because entering a complex password on the new remote is a misery.

If no one has heard of this issue, my next step will be to reset the Apple TV back to factory settings and start fresh.

9. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

10. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

No such problems for me. Which suggests it might be a local issue for the OP. Good luck in getting it fixed

11. -Gonzo-, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

-Gonzo- macrumors regular

There is on mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've left mine set to always ask for password due to kids in the house, I just use the apple remote app on my iPhone when I need to add the password.

12. nightcap965, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Yes, I have that, but my settings are "Require Password: Never" and I don't require a password for free downloads. This isn't "Save my password," this is just a setting to whether or not you want to use a password for app purchases. I don't, since it's just the Unindicted Co-Conspirator and me here.

I just logged in and was asked for the iTunes Store password. I tried something new and hit "Cancel." Doesn't seem to mind...

13. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

My Apple TV certainly does save the passwords somewhere as I've got 2 AppleID's (one for UK and one for US) and also family sharing.
    When you first select another AppleID it asks for you to enter the password then thereafter your able to switch between accounts without entering the passwords again.
    Then there's the secondary option for how you want passwords to behave for purchases.
    Perhaps it's just a bug in the system that's asking you to enter your password all the time.

14. Snoopy4, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I know what he's talking about because I have the same problem. You turn it on and half your movies don't show up. You get blank cover art and titles don't play. Sometimes a restart fixes it, other times it does not and eventually it asks for your password.

No, it has nothing to do with my network. I am hardwired and put in new switches and a new router when this started happening thinking it was a network problem. Its a pain in the ..... and Apple should be embarrassed by this nonsense. How freaking difficult is it to have your device actually work and maintain your sign in.

This has been going on for several months with us and yes, I did a full restore. Not an uncommon problem either:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7317881?start=0

15. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

Thankfully I've not seen anything like that, currently my only niggle seems to be that although it's wired it takes a while to connect to the network when taken out of standby as I'm greeted with a not connected to network message which is slightly annoying at times.
    I am yet to test to see if the same happens via wireless.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, no connection lost. Its a straight up catalog drop. Weird.