Apple TV 4 - Sound Broken

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ghsNick, Jul 29, 2017.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I think my Apple TV crapped out on me tonight.

I've had it plugged in for a year and a half (haven't messed with anything) and today the sound went out. This has happened before and a simple reset fixed it...well not today.

I unplugged everything and plugged it back in. I changed HDMI ports. I reset the Apple TV...nothing works.

Everything else on my TV is working (TiVO, Xbox, Netflix TV App) but for some reason the sound isn't working.

I messed with every audio setting within the Apple TV and nothhing works. The video is working perfectly...but no sound.

Do you think it's done for? We were literally in the middle of watching a show and after pausing it the sound never came back.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
  3. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

This has been happening to me the past few days. So far a reset has fixed it. Going to try swapping out the cable.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have a Sony TV. I held down the Power Button (on the Sony TV) and the Apple TV was working again!

5. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Same thing has been happening to me. Turning the tv off and on and also power cycling the Apple TV 4 sometimes resolves the issue. It's not the tv or the cable since I tested with an Apple TV 3 for a week and no issues. After plugging the 4 back in issues started up again after a day. Very frustrating as it is out of warranty by a few months and my 4 and 5 year old Apple TVs still work perfectly.

6. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

This makes me think it's some type of software bug. I'm hoping it goes away in the next update.