Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
It seems Apple has filed some patents for a Wii-like remote that most people seem to think will work with the ATV.

Do you guys think this might mean an ATV4 is in the works? Would it make sense to release one with OS X 10.8, given the new Airplay feature?

I know these are highly speculative questions but I'm trying to figure out whether I want to Craigslist an ATV2 and jailbreak it, buy an ATV 3 right now or wait.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
ML is due out this summer, IIRC, and it is highly unlikely that Apple would release a new ATV so soon after releasing the ATV3.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
It's pretty common knowledge that Apple is working on a TV-type device. There have been a lot of rumors about it lately.
I'm a big Apple fan, but ATV's are still very new to me, so I just found out about these rumors today.

ML is due out this summer, IIRC, and it is highly unlikely that Apple would release a new ATV so soon after releasing the ATV3.
Do you think there is validity to all the aforementioned rumors? If so, would it just be for a device in the distant future?

Again, all highly speculative questions, I know. I suppose I'm not asking for answers, just opinions.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Chances of an Apple TV set by the end of the year... HIGH..

Chances of AppleTV (box) 4 with MLion,,,,,, VERY VERY VERY>.....VERY LOW...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Chances of an Apple TV set by the end of the year... HIGH..

Chances of AppleTV (box) 4 with MLion,,,,,, VERY VERY VERY>.....VERY LOW...

This... Although I would probably elaborate and say, Chances of an AppleTV set very very High.... chances of an AppleTV Set by the end of the year, Medium.

There seems to be a lot of debate if it is coming in Q4 of this year or Q1(2?) of next.

There is no way another AppleTV (box) is released this summer. Very Very Very low unless for some reason Apple had a ton of "old" dual-core A5's from iPads and iPhones just sitting around and they felt like upping the processing power and calling it the AppleTV 4. Again I really doubt that especially since the AppleTV box is a one-function-at-a-time type device so the dual-core would be virtually lost on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.