Apple TV 4 tvos 9.1 beta

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by john991, Nov 3, 2015.

1. john991 macrumors 6502a

2. Justim macrumors 6502

It's much better as far as speed and fluidity. But it messes with your surround sound if you have one. Had to downgrade just for surround sound functionality.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

"much better"? I find that very hard to believe, it's already pretty fast and fluid and haven't noticed and lag or stuttering when trying to do anything

4. Justim macrumors 6502

You're arguing the subjective. There's noticeable improvement. That's normal for a .1 upgrade.

5. devilsnj30 macrumors member

Is there any updates to Keyboard support for bluetooth?

6. Justim macrumors 6502

No. Also, No support for remote app. Honestly I couldn't find anything new. Just quicker. Downgraded once I noticed the sound.

7. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Xcode would not let me install provenance on 9.1 so I put her in DFU and downhraded

8. recoil80 macrumors 68000

So it's not going to be an exciting update.
    ATV4 is already pretty fast, of course the faster it is the happier I am, but I really want the remote app or a bluetooth keyboard.

9. StevenWalker macrumors regular

And this is the BIGGEST story of interest here.
    I turned off Auto Updates just in case they do stop the ability to sideload apps with 9.1+ releases.

And if your report is correct, sideloading might soon be over.

10. TrueBlou, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Were you using the latest beta of Xcode, released on November 3rd?

I don't know if auto update will install the betas, well, it hasn't updated mine so far and I've got auto update enabled.

As for "sideloading" you're not actually side loading apps on ATV, you're just building and installing code. Exactly as we do for our apps we make for iOS/TVos. It's not like on other systems where you're circumventing some sort of system designed to prevent it. If Apple prevent us installing apps from Xcode, we're never going to be able to release apps to the AppStore because we won't be able to test them.

11. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Do I need a developer account to install this?

12. hugomingoia macrumors newbie

hugomingoia

Let's not start a lag thread, but I found scrolling to be pretty laggy in image rich screens like For you section of the Music App or App Store search results, and I'm looking forward to improvements, in the 9.1 update probably. So glad to hear the beta seems to be better.

13. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

probably had more to do with apple music. I have 500+ movies in icloud and atv4 zings through them in real time.

14. ajiuo macrumors 65816

No they won't end side loading... It's something with it being a beta and Xcode not having a disk image.. People had the same issue with 9.1 betas on iOS.

15. StevenWalker macrumors regular

Excellent points.

I agree, the issue was probably due to not upgrading Xcode to the latest beta version also.

cheers..

16. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

I was hoping Surround sound would be handled better in 9.1. Auto right now on 9.0 results in PCM 7.1 output for 5.1 sources so results in no sound coming out of rear speaker. Dolby Surround mode makes all sources 5.1 including stereo so no way to process the signal as Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

What exactly happened to the surround sound in 9.1 beta?

17. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

The beta has fixed very little if anything at all! The remote scrolling has improved buts that's all I have seen. No sound improvement, no Bluetooth drops outs or app crashes. Not sure what they actually did but the good news is...it completely resets the unit as new so you have to complete the entire setup process again! For every single thing! Ridiculous

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yes God forgive a beta product doesn't work in the same way as a final release. Issues with beta software are rife and nothing new.

If you don't want to deal with them don't install it. Or at least wait until it's further along the food chain and more suitable for public consumption.

Or st the absolute very least, wait a few days and see what issues there are with it before installing.

19. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I'm a developer! That's what I do but having it completely erase all content is something that has never happened on any Apple device I have ever used which is all of them minus the watch! Seriously I see you in every post promoting this product or defending it! What's Apple Pay you a month??

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'm hardly promoting it, merely stating the obvious. I'm a developer myself and if there's one thing I've learned it's not to jump on every single beta release just because it's there. It's usually best to wait until they balance out and get the kinks worked out.

The only time I think it's worth updating is when there's a new feature added to the sdk that you absolutely must use in your app.

21. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

1 more thing that has me puzzled! If your enjoying your new toy so much then why do you post every 2 minutes? Does the tv have a safari app I'm not familiar with? Because your never using yours whatsoever, you just try to defend every possible problem. Just has me wondering is all!

22. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Which is exactly why I downloaded it. It's 100 percent essential to test the app I am working on with every tvos available!

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Oddly enough, it sits on my desk beside me during working hours as I'm using it for development. That also give me plenty of time to use it as well.

When there's an actual, real problem that isn't caused by, oh let's say, someone installing an unnecessary update and whinging about it when there's a problem. I won't defend it, I'm more than happy to agree with a real issue.

24. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Even one that adds no new remarkable feature that couldn't be tested with the currently available version.

25. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Every issue is a real issue! What don't you get about that? Bluetooth, apps crashing, etc are very important issues!