Apple TV 4 - Will there be a Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by icebergx, Aug 13, 2015.

?

Will there eventually be a Jailbreak for the forthcoming Apple TV 4

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

66.7%
  3. Unsure

8.3%
  1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    seeing as there are so many questions being posed, I thought I'd trow another one into the mix.With the new Apple TV seemingly marking Apple's new focus on video content, do many people thing Jailbreakers will comeback to the new device and work their magic with it?
    I for one do, and hope so too.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

i mentioned this in one of my posts that I wondered if it would be needed if you have an App Store. I know they still do for the iPhone. Anyway, they have never been able to Jailbreak the ATV 3 like they could with ATV 2 so maybe not the ATV 4 either.

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not so sure that they couldn't JB the ATV3, I just don't thing there was much demand to. They did so with the ATV2 but (as far as I know) the only benefit was adding XBMC and (maybe) Plex to it. I'm sure that, with the increased focus by Apple, that will also increase focus from the TaiG/PP teams, and thus JB developers.

There's so much more than KODI/XBMC that we could have on there imo...

4. M@C macrumors member

Why buy the Apple TV if your not satisfied with what you get? If you want a more capable (open) media player buy something else.

5. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

6. normanfox macrumors 6502a

AVT 3 has no jailbreak because the ios on it is so limited with few doors to break.

AVT 4 with app store will have more features with more doors to be exploited.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

8. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

A better question:

Will there be an Apple TV 4?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV 3 is not jailbreakable at this time because there is no injection vector. On the Apple TV 2, the limera1n bootrom exploit is the injection vector. The Apple TV 3 lacks this vulnerability and because of its greatly reduced iOS, it lacks many of the userland parts that have been used starting with the iPhone 4S to jailbreak devices.

10. M@C macrumors member

Yes, next month. Believe.

11. anubis macrumors 6502a

The answer is no, because there will never be an Apple TV 4. We'll all be dead and they will still be selling the Apple TV 3.

12. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'd love to believe, but I've been believing for the last 2 years. The crazy thing is that I know that Apple releases things on Apple's schedule, not mine, and that's a good thing.