Apple TV 4 with grainy background

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FurbyUK, Sep 11, 2016.

1. FurbyUK Suspended

The background on my ATV4 isn't smooth, but it's grainy.

I put tvOS 10 GM and it's the same and it's more pronounced on the dark mode.

It doesn't affect the picture of what's playing, when watching video.

Is it just me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. roidy, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

roidy macrumors 6502a

While the aTV's background isn't a flat color and does have some grain to it, it's a very subtle effect and I suspect yours looks like white speckles because the Sharpness of your TV is set to high.

In fact as a test if I turn the Sharpness of my TV up to Max it looks the same, white speckles instead of a subtle gray effect.

Also the halo effect around the lettering on the buttons is a dead give away that the Sharpness is incorrectly set.

3. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

4. FurbyUK thread starter Suspended

My sharpness is not even a quarter of the bar, if I reduce it to zero, it's still visible.

5. roidy, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

roidy macrumors 6502a

What's the make and model of the TV? Have you tried the full range of the Sharpness control? The Sharpness control on different makes and models of TV's work differently, for example Samsung TV's generally go from 0 -> 100 with 0 being off and 100 being fully sharp, where as some Sony TV's have a range of -50 -> 0 -> +50 with the central 0 position being off.

6. FurbyUK thread starter Suspended

It's last years Samsung I think. I'll check the proper model number when home.