Apple TV 4 won't start

mburgosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,

I just got a new Apple TV 4 but after connecting it and switching to the HDMI source on my TV I only see a black screen, and there is no signal coming from the HDMI. When disconnecting and reconnecting the Apple TV from power, I see the Apple logo shortly (less than a second) and then the signal stops.

The white LED blinks when I click on the remote buttons.

Restarting the Apple TV by pressing Menu + Home for 5 seconds results in the same outcome.

Anything I can do to diagnose or even better fix this on my own?

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Hi,

I just got a new Apple TV 4 but after connecting it and switching to the HDMI source on my TV I only see a black screen, and there is no signal coming from the HDMI. When disconnecting and reconnecting the Apple TV from power, I see the Apple logo shortly (less than a second) and then the signal stops.

Restarting the Apple TV by pressing Menu + Home for 5 seconds results in the same outcome.

Sounds like you bought a brick. Is a store nearby?

mburgosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Not really, I live in Norway and we don't have an official Apple Store, only official re-sellers. But I pre-ordered mine online.

Might be best to ask for a refund and buy one at the local re-seller.

apny2nv

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

Try a different hdmi cable

Reactions: David R

mburgosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I talked with Apple support this morning and they advice me to do that. The problem is that it has a USB-C port and no cable included.

I went to an authorised reseller as advised by the Apple support person. The guy connected an adapter: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter
But didn't have a USB male to USB male (not sure I've seen any around).
So the only solution to do the restore is to have a Macbook with USB-C.

Anyways the restore didn't help :( Really sucks that Apple doesn't have a retail store here. At this point I prefer to ask for a refund and buy from the re-seller. But it seems I have to first send it for repair...