Apple TV 4 Zoomed in too far

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jerhen, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Jerhen macrumors regular

I got an Apple TV 4th generation this last week for my 32 inch LG TV that is probably around 7-8 years old. My TV is probably around one of the first flatscreens that came out and it still works well. Anyways, when I plugged in my Apple TV 4, it seems that some of the things are zoomed in too far, especially with games such as Asphalt 8. On Asphalt 8, some of the menu options such as the top bar at the top of the screen are cut off. I was kind of looking this up and found that you need to change the zoom on the TV settings. What needs to be done so it isn't zoomed in and normal?

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Yes, there is a zoom button on the remote. The symbol is usually made up of framing lines and possibly an arrow or two.

3. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

On the tv, not the Apple TV, which zoom do you choose. It is currently on 16:9.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Just try them all. 16:9 should work but if you are having problems the only other thing you can do is to see if there is an option to move and adjust the display like there is for video game consoles.

5. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

16:9 is what it is set on and it is zoomed to much. The one option that works is just scan. What is just scan?

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

7. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

8. roidy macrumors 6502a

"Just Scan" is what you need to use as this will give you an exact 1 to 1 pixel match to what the connected device is outputting. "16x9" mode is mainly used for devices that overscan like DVD's or old analog devices like VHS when the edge of the picture may contain "noise" that you don't want to see.

On the ATV4 go to Settings->Audio and Video->Calibrate->Zoom and Overscan

This will display an image that shows the full HD frame and the smaller "Safe area" change your TV's zoom setting until you see the "Full Screen" area which should be the "Just Scan" setting. Then you're good to go.

9. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have to do that with your Apple TV also? The just scan setting should just be applied to the HDMI only for the Apple tv then because when I input back to TV it says 16:9 and that is what I want for regular TV is 16:9. It seems the inputs have their own settings and setting just scan for the Apple TV input should't affect other inputs and regular TV.

10. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yes, most TV's have the "zoom" setting on a per input basis so each input can have a different setting. You'll want to use "Just Scan" for any inputs that have a known fixed resolution with no overscan eg. ATV, Blu-Ray, PC/MAC or Game console. And Use "16x9" for any inputs that are either older analogue signals or signals that may contain overscan eg DVD, TV broadcast or VHS just to name a few.

11. Jerhen, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply and defining what the Just scan setting means. Did you also have to change the setting on your TV for the Apple TV input?

12. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yes, I had to set my TV to the right "Zoom" setting, only on my Sony TV it's just called "Full" instead of "Just Scan" and my version of "16x9" is called "Wide", each manufactory calls them by different names.