Apple TV 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nollimac, Apr 8, 2015.

1. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

Has anyone heard that Apple TV4 will be open to third party apps?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This question gets asked about 5 times a month. There are only speculations and wish lists. No one know anything for certain.

Apple has released nothing, even in passing when the exec team has been interviewed.

3. sk24iam macrumors regular

Hasn't been confirmed by Apple but rumors say it will be. Looking forward to gaming apps in particular.

4. nollimac thread starter macrumors regular

nollimac

I had search...didn't find anyone asking the question.

Yes, that's what I have heard...other boxes have been surpassing AppleTV in customer acceptance so Apple lowered price and will remove their shackle allowing third apps. It makes sense business-wise since Apple TV2 trending at $200 on places like Ebay.

5. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

It would require a total rewrite of the core ATV software. Right now it is (for all intents and purposes) a single app running on iOS, with all of the channels built into that app. It would have to be modified so that each channel was a separate app that the core ATV app would invoke as a broker.

6. nollimac thread starter macrumors regular

nollimac

So, it's basically a browser and each channel a domain name! Still, it shouldn't be difficult to modify for what the customer needs. Like most, I paid $99 for browsing one domain: Netflix. I could have stick to using the blue ray player for that. Apple TV4 has to change drastically...Apple knows that.

7. whoiare macrumors regular

If you bought the ATV just for netflix youre using it wrong. The apple tv was never meant to stand on its own...its a compliment to iTunes. Once you become heavily involved in the apple ecosystem the apple tv makes plenty of sense for $99.

8. nollimac thread starter macrumors regular

nollimac

It seems that if it were really worth it the price would have remained the same; however, the competition was offering far more options that are exactly why the price of Apple TV2 became a gold mine. People always want more options, and I should not have to subscribe to other channels to get content if I already signed in with my Apple ID...really a turn off. Also, I don't want to spend valuable time searching iTunes for content since I have to do that with Netflix anyway...I really never cared for iTunes.

The idea of Internet TV was for it to be a cost advantage over cable and satellite. I wondered why HBO Now couldn't have started with a $7.99 price tag instead of $14.99. So couple that with streaming box office movies and one ends up with expensive substitute to cable and satellite. This is on top of expensive Internet service...for example I pay $85/mth for 65MB per second speed. The convenience of streaming content in one's media room is an expensive option.

9. whoiare macrumors regular

youre arguing new points now beyond your "netflix only" point. First off...the price changed because thats what you do when you are trying to clear inventory...has nothing to do with being WORTH it. Second, the ATV2 became a "gold mine" because there were NO other good options for people to stream their LOCAL crappy .avi files at the time. Third, you then go on another tangent and start talking about internet tv and searching itunes and wasting time...wtf point are you even trying to make with all that?

my points remain. the atv is a perfect compliment to itunes and the apple eco system. They just happen to give you EXTRA options with things like netflix and HBO.

Does the ATV need a software overhaul? absolutely....will it be some earth shattering super console with games, an app store, home kit, universal search, streaming package, super remote, facetime camera, storage space, etc etc etc....given apples track record of releases as of late(ipad 3, Ipad mini 1 and 3, iphone 5C, 2014 mac mini, 2015 retina macbook, etc etc) i wouldnt expect it.

10. nollimac thread starter macrumors regular

nollimac

Okay, okay...I went wildly adrift and ended pointless; however, you shouldn't discount competitive pressure by claiming inventory clearance. I agree that both Apple TV and iTunes need a massive overhaul...lets see if version 4 offers.

11. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

No, pretty much the opposite. The current ATV software would be like having a web browser where you had to modify the browser to include each top-level domain it goes to (and include the pages for that domain in the browser), rather than navigate to any URL specified that supports the protocol.

There won't be an "app store" for ATV unless and until Apple changes the core ATV software to have each "channel" as a separate application and the ATV base software is just a manager for the various apps the user chooses to install.

12. whoiare macrumors regular

agreed. although i have no issues with the current itunes, i feel its not wholly representative on what it does. Its icon is still a music note. Itunes should become iEntertainment, or iMedia and it should handle movies/tv shows just as well as it handles music.