Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I bought a used 4K 1st gen Apple TV box. I have been using Firestick for a while but it's becoming slow, unresponsive at times and I have to reboot. I have been researching Apple TV and realize I can get a lot of Apps on there that I thought I couldn't like Tea TV and others.

My question is, since this didn't come with a remote can I simply use my phone or can I pair the Firestick or Roku remote with Apple TV?

Also, any other tips or suggestions?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
You can purchase a new original Apple remote. You can also use a supported game controller, iPhone or iPad as remote, though I'm not quite sure how good that will work if it's the only thing you have. I don't believe any other remote will work with an Apple TV.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
You can purchase a new original Apple remote. You can also use a supported game controller, iPhone or iPad as remote, though I'm not quite sure how good that will work if it's the only thing you have. I don't believe any other remote will work with an Apple TV.
I didn't do my research, fully as I was seeing if I like Apple TV before swapping out all my 4K sticks---I bought the 4K Apple TV box for $35 but a new remote is $60---and a new/refurb is $109 with a remote. I have seen these $10 remotes on Amazon---but they're cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.