Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I've noticed this quite a few times with tvOS 16.1 and very occasionally with tvOS 16.2 but only on my 2022 model and not my 2017 model.

The menu will occasionally hangs for like 5-10 seconds when navigating tvOS, and the only way to fix it is to reboot. It's almost as if it's run out of memory and is swapping, but the 2022 has more memory than the 2017 (which doesn't have this problem). Also, once it starts happening on the 2022, it will happen repeatedly until I reboot. Once I reboot, it works fine for a long time.

Has anyone else seen this?

BTW, I bought this model since I wanted to try Apple Arcade with the kids but for the few game we have tried, it doesn't actually make that much of a difference vs. the 2017, probably because the game we have tried probably aren't really maxing things out.

If it's just me, then maybe I'll look into getting it replaced under warranty. However, I suspect this is a software bug.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I’m having major issues with the remote losing connection and/or freezing
Sorry to hear about your Apple TV troubles, but in a way I'm glad to hear it's not just my unit.

Yes, I had the Siri remote issue too. However, I noticed my Xbox wireless controller was acting really strangely with it, so I deleted it from the Bluetooth devices list and redid the Bluetooth pairing, and strangely enough that remote issue went away. Hmm... Maybe I should try this again with the Apple TV remote too.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Apparently 16.3 is out next week so let's hope it fixes this once and for all.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I’m having major issues with the remote losing connection and/or freezing

Several MacRumors forum and Reddit threads have been created to bring attention to the issue, which seems to relate to the Siri Remote's inconsistent Bluetooth connection with the latest Apple TV 4K, even at close proximity.

Users report the Siri Remote losing connection with the Apple TV 4K intermittently, which can only be remedied by either re-pairing or restarting the remote, or unplugging the set-top box and then plugging it in again to re-establish the connection.

Notably, the problem doesn't occur when the same users try controlling their Apple TV 4K with the Remote app on their iPhone or with their TV remote via HDMI-CEC, suggesting the fault is indeed a Bluetooth issue between the remote and Apple TV 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.