Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benboy12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
Alrighty y’all, here is an interesting one for you:

I own a Samsung Q90R and a new Apple TV 4K 2022 model. It’s plugged in directly via HDMI with an optical running from the TV to an AVR.

I recently unboxed the new Apple TV and set it up. Everything worked great for a couple of days with no issues. All of a sudden I noticed that there was no sound coming from any Apple TV activity (sound came from TV menu options). I went to restart the Apple TV and the whole screen turned pink/purple. Unplugging and plugging the power resulted in the same pink/purple screen appearing. I found that I could reset everything by unplugging the HDMI cable and allowing my TV to rediscover the Apple TV. However, I have figured out that if HDR is enabled on the Apple TV, I won’t get sound and will get the pink/purple screen. As soon as HDR is turned off, my sound returns. I can leave it on SDR and turn on match content. This will allow me to play HDR content with the following caveats:

1.) The Apple TV apps will no longer tell me if something is HDR

2.) My home menu looks a little off

3.) My shows now have the soap opera effect.

I did switch out the HDMI (confirmed it’s high speed) and plugged into a different TV (HDR compatible Sony.)

This leads me to believe the Apple TV and Samsung aren’t playing nice together. I did have an Apple TV 4K 2021 plugged in through the AVR to the TV and had no issues. However I changed my connections with the new Apple TV since my AVR does not have HDR10+ pass through.

Any thoughts here?

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
FL
I have a Samsung Q90 TV with a Samsung Soundbar setup with my Apple TV 4k 126GB model. I've been having sound issues ever since the tvOS 16.1.1 update. I get a radio-like static noise every 20-30 minutes and last for about 2-3 seconds, other times the sound just cuts out completely (depending on which app I'm watching). I don't know if you're experiencing that as well - sounds like maybe you are...? I get a green screen (not pink/purple) when booting up my Apple TV, right before my Samsung TV and Soundbar discover the Apple TV has been turned on - that didn't happen until tvOS 16.1.1 either.

My two other Apple TV 4k's (2021 models) do not have any sound issues, they are both on tvOS 16.1. I tested by hooking them up and using them each for a day on my Samsung setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.