Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
We have two 2nd gens and two 3rd gens and with general streaming and some basic gaming I have not noticed any difference between the devices.

Reactions: audiomixer

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
We have two 2nd gens and two 3rd gens and with general streaming and some basic gaming I have not noticed any difference between the devices.
That’s what I figured. I’ll just keep the second gen one that I have until a new 4th gen one is released, thank you.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
The new one does have add HDR10+ support and a Thread radio in the 128Gb model. So if you have a higher end TV from Samsung or another brand that doesn’t do Dolby Vision, or if you have a lot of newer smart home accessories, it might be worth it to you.

Reactions: shakopeemn

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
The new one does have add HDR10+ support and a Thread radio in the 128Gb model. So if you have a higher end TV from Samsung or another brand that doesn’t do Dolby Vision, or if you have a lot of newer smart home accessories, it might be worth it to you.
I have an LG OLED C3 which has both hdr and Dolby vision. What benefit would HDR10+ give me?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I have an LG OLED C3 which has both hdr and Dolby vision. What benefit would HDR10+ give me?

HDR10+ is similar to Dolby Vision in that they both provide a superior HDR viewing experience because of the additional video data that the tv gets. LG TVs do not support HDR10+, but Dolby Vision is the superior technology in my (admittedly fairly amateur) opinion. I have several nice TVs and the ones that support DV and HDR10+, I prefer the tone mapping and colors of the DV picture every time.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Absolutely nothing as your TV doesn’t support HDR10+, you’ll just get HDR10 as you do now for that specific content that doesn’t provide Dolby Vision.

Myself I’ve got a TV that supports both DV and HDR10+ so get the benefit from Prime Video as for the most part they still favour HDR10+, also quite a lot of my iTunes/atv movie library is available in HDR10+ which are mostly movies from 20th Century ie Die Hard & X-Men franchises to name a couple.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014

HDR10+ only advantage is that it gives the Samsung brand high contrast. Samsung refuses to pay for Dolby Vision technology licensing and Samsung settled with HDR10+.

In the digital high contrast world HDR is basic (like your LG OLED), followed by HDR10+, and Dolby Vision.

As a side note, I have an LG OLED which mostly does ATV. The OLED has such a WOW factor, that I refuse to pay Netflix for their 4k DolbyVision. The picture is still outstanding on most streaming services!

Best to ya.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
HDR10+ only advantage is that it gives the Samsung brand high contrast. Samsung refuses to pay for Dolby Vision technology licensing and Samsung settled with HDR10+.
It somewhat baffles me slightly when most talk about HDR10+ it’s only ever Samsung that gets a mention as being any benefit for.
Granted it’s definitely a benefit for Samsung owners but there’s also a benefit to those who own other brands that also support HDR10+.
Yeah for the most part Dolby Vision is the more dominant but there’s still a hell of a lot of HDR10+ only content available that Dolby Vision only TVs cannot take advantage of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.