Apple TV 4K 32Gb - issue with screen blanking

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cjbryce, Jan 23, 2018.

1. cjbryce, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Every few hours my Apple TV screen output blanks out for a few seconds and input from the remote is ignored. A few seconds later the screen comes back on and remote commands are accepted. This [then] repeats every few seconds and then clears for a while after a forced restart. Running tvOS 11.2.1

Anyone have any ideas? I suppose I could do a full reset, but I dunno of this loses all my HomeKit settings/automations which are fairly numerous.

<edit> to clarify - this isn't a one-off blanking out which repeats maybe an hour or two later, this, when started, repeats every few seconds and can only be stopped by a forced restart.

2. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

No idea what the solution could be
    My 32gb is showing black screens for a few secs between using remote on UI
    this happened since some beta updates
    Still happening 11.2.5

3. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

At least I'm not alone then :rolleyes:

4. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Mmm, despite a full reset and now being on 11.2.5 this is still happening. I suspect a trip to the Apple Store might be in order :(

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

Have you tried a different (good quality) hdmi-cable? that's supposed to help with the screen blacking out on the ps4 - maybe those problems are related.

6. triangletechie macrumors regular

My 32 4k has been doing this lately. I'll be watching a show on Netflix and the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and comes back on. I'm using a premium certified Monoprice cable so I don't think that's the issue. I'm guessing it's tvOS related. I've also tried different cables on 2 different ATVs at various times and the blank screen still occurs at random.

I haven't noticed this until the last couple of months.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Mine will do something similar. Its annoying but quick enough for me to not invest much time or effort into it.

It will just go black like it switching inputs, audio to the receiver is lost and it will come back with 2-3 seconds and then not do it again for a while. When it comes back on the scrubbing bar pops up knowing something happened but it doesn't pause the video or anything.

Cable is relatively new and in good condition but I'll try a new one just to verify.

8. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

Mine was doing this when I had the match frame feature enabled. I guess my TV or something couldn’t handle the switching frame rates, so it went black. Ever since I disabled it, it’s been fine.

9. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Agreed I swiched the match setting last week which resolved black screen

10. cjbryce, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Now I have a couple of HomePods, I removed the offending Apple TV from homekit and this seems, for the meanwhile, to have stopped the issue.