Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NTXiOS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
The volume control button on the Apple TV remote stops controlling the soundbar volume....eventually. Works fine for a few months and life is good then, out of nowhere, it just stops controlling the volume and there is no way to fix it. Its not a setting....its not how the cables are connected.....it doesn't happen after any updates to Apple TV or the soundbar or the television. Just stops controlling the soundbar volume after it worked perfectly for months. Anyone else have this happen?

Happened on my SONOS Beam recently and happened to my Samsung Soundbar on another set a few months back. I've looked at everything to try and fix it in settings on all involved components and still can't get the remote to control the soundbars. Only thing I have not done is a complete reset of the Apple TV and start over which is a beating to reload apps and passwords.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
what do the volume buttons do?

I have a beam and an LG TV, when everything is configured correctly the LG remote also controls the beam.
so that's a way to check, and see where the breakdown is.

Have you tried unplugging and replugging both ends of the HDMI cables, sometimes doing that can re-initialiaze the handshake that's needed for all this to work.

sometimes, changing away from a setting and then back can fix problems.
so setup the volume to control your TV, then back to the soundbar.

Also, make sure you have decent quality HDMI cables, They don't have to be stupid expensive, just don't go for dirt cheap. Monoprice has good quality cables for great prices.

NTXiOS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks. Will try to replug the hdmi cables. They are higher end cables so I don't believe that is the case. The tv remote does nothing since I have the speaker setting on the Samsung set to HDMI, not tv speakers. Ive been on the SONOS community forum as well and multiple people experience the same thing over time and SONOS points it back to Apple. Since its happening on my SONOS and Samsung the only component in common is Apple. It works for a few months....then just stops controlling the volume.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Have you tried using the learning function to learn the Volume controls of the original remote?
That’s exactly what I did with mine and have had no issues since the day I set it.

Reactions: Pow!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.