Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
AU
I am having some issues air playing video from an iPhone to an Apple TV 4K via the iphones hotspot.
I turn the hotspot on (on the iPhone,) connect the Apple TV to the hotspot and I can airplay video content eg from the YouTube app or Foxtel go app (cable tv in Australia) no problems at all.
As soon as I turn the Apple TV off or turn the hotspot off or even just get out of the app, it will no longer connect, iPhone to Apple TV.
It will still not connect even once the hotspot is turned back on. The hotspot continues to work however, as I am able to watch the Netflix app on the Apple TV. When I try to airplay the content from any app, I get an error on the iPhone “unable to connect to Apple TV”
The only way to make the airplay work again is by restarting the Apple TV.
It’s very frustrating as the hotspot still works, however the iPhone will not airplay to the Apple TV. I am having to restart the Apple TV every time I want the airplay to work again.

Does anyone know what may be going on?
Thanks!

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I'm only guessing but it looks like your iPhone can only act as "either" 1) a hotspot or 2) an Airplay client and not both. I haven't done Airplay in a few years so I'm only giving an observation.

kart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
AU
I'm only guessing but it looks like your iPhone can only act as "either" 1) a hotspot or 2) an Airplay client and not both. I haven't done Airplay in a few years so I'm only giving an observation.
Could be, but I’m doubtful as it works initially, however once exiting the app later on and trying to star airplaying again that is when it starts to have problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.