Apple TV 4K dies when connecting Ethernet-cable

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
This is so wierd.

Wifi works fine, but if you connect a ethernet-cable, it just goes black in second.. a green screen and then black. or the picture get stuck with artifacts.

This is so strange. I´ve tested different ethernet-cables, and different routers.. what can it be?

UPDATE: It´s the same problem on wifi now, but not as often.

Can it be a overheat issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: decypher44

HDFan

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
1. If you pull the power plug, wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in does it make a difference?

2. Have you tried Reset and Reset and Update? You will lose all of your settings.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is weird.

If I want to watch USA streaming services, I turn on my network switch so my ATV gets an IP address through my VPN using a network cable. I keep the network cable connected at all times since the Ethernet connection has priority over WiFi.

If I want to watch Canadian streaming services, I turn off my network switch so my ATV does not go through my VPN and uses WiFi instead.

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
I think it has to do with the network.

It does this even on Wifi but not directly, but if i try to go to setting it dies directly

If I turn off the network at home, it works fine!

This is so strange...

I have 2 apple tvs one in the living room (thats the 4K version) and one in the bedroom (normal Apple TV 4) the one in the bedrom NEVER glitch. I also have a Time Capsule in my network, but I do not use it as a router.

If i connect the apple tv4K directly to the modem, or via a switch, it doesnt matter, but the problem isn
- - Post merged: - -

I think it has to do with the network.

It does this even on Wifi but not directly, but if i try to go to setting it dies directly

If I turn off the network at home, it works fine!

This is so strange...

I have 2 apple tvs one in the living room (thats the 4K version) and one in the bedroom (normal Apple TV 4) the one in the bedrom NEVER glitch. I also have a Time Capsule in my network, but I do not use it as a router.

If i connect the apple tv4K directly to the router, or via a switch, it doesn't matter, it glitches.

This is so strange, here is a video of it:
- - Post merged: - -

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Have you tried the ATV4 in the living room? If it continues to work fine then it is unlikely to be a network fault and it may be time to look for a replacement for the ATV 4K (your video could be showing a graphics driver/hardware fault)!

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
It´s no problem with the other one.

This one is brand new, i got my old 4K version replaced, same problem with this.

I will test to change the name on it, or choose not to install apps automatically when it´s new, if that helps.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hmmm....Did this problem start while you were installing the ethernet?

I ask that because you are looking at artifacts caused by a low voltage condition over an HDMI conductor(s). The green color is the effect of <2vdc being interpreted as input (a zero). The conductors in an HDMI are really thin wires and if one its yanked too hard or something then it will be more resistive to electric flow causing the voltage to decrease. It could be a failed HDCP handshake however that is usually a completely green screen and I don't think the menus require that anyway.

HDMI conductors conductivity dictates its bandwidth. So often times you can reduce the resolution and the issue goes away. Obviously not a solution though.

Worst case its the displays internal ribbon cable, a bad connection in the ATV or failing HDMI port. However generally the solution is justing replacing the HDMI cable and making sure the HDMI port is clean. Even if you unplug and plug it back in and it works (often does) I would replace it because its compromised and isn't good for connected equipment.

Get a half decent HDMI cable (2.x) that isn't any longer than you need it too be.

Raspberry Pi's have a HDMI_Boot mode to increase the amplitude of the signal when I would see this on a crappy HDMI cable I rolled an office chair over and damaged. The screen was very similar to yours.

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Thanks for the answer!

I will explain more clearly.

----

This is a brand new Apple TV 4K

I´ve also bought a new HDMI Cable, one of the best!

It´s he same problem with this.

So, it´s not the HDMI, or the Apple TV itself.

----

IF i turn offwifi and ethernet, there is no problem at all, i´ve tested for hour watching series that are downloaded to the Apple TV.

IF i connect a ethernet-cable when the router is turned OFF, it´s ok. BUT if the Apple TV will get an IP adress, it dies directly!

IF i use wifi, it works for a while, but the problems will occur randomly. I can watch a movie in 4k and with 24Hz, but when it exits and xhange to 60Hz.

----

The thing I´m testing, is IF it has to do with my Time Machine i have in my network, if it has to do with that. Or test to reset the Apple TV and change it´s name. Something here has towith this.

IF it shpuld be the HDMI it´s very strange that it dies everytime when I go into settings, if i turn off the internet, settings works fine.

This is sooo strange and annoying.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the answer!

I will explain more clearly.

----

This is a brand new Apple TV 4K

I´ve also bought a new HDMI Cable, one of the best!

It´s he same problem with this.

So, it´s not the HDMI, or the Apple TV itself.

----

IF i turn offwifi and ethernet, there is no problem at all, i´ve tested for hour watching series that are downloaded to the Apple TV.

IF i connect a ethernet-cable when the router is turned OFF, it´s ok. BUT if the Apple TV will get an IP adress, it dies directly!

IF i use wifi, it works for a while, but the problems will occur randomly. I can watch a movie in 4k and with 24Hz, but when it exits and xhange to 60Hz.

----

The thing I´m testing, is IF it has to do with my Time Machine i have in my network, if it has to do with that. Or test to reset the Apple TV and change it´s name. Something here has towith this.

IF it shpuld be the HDMI it´s very strange that it dies everytime when I go into settings, if i turn off the internet, settings works fine.

This is sooo strange and annoying.
Admittedly that is strange because that is something I've seen before doing very predictable behavior. You can even see a static pattern in it...

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 4.28.16 PM.png

I guess there are always odd variables.

I'm going to have difficulty letting it go though lol. What happens when you set the ATV to 1080p output and try to connect to the internet? Do you have another TV to test it on?

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Admittedly that is strange because that is something I've seen before doing very predictable behavior. You can even see a static pattern in it...

View attachment 899005

I guess there are always odd variables.

I'm going to have difficulty letting it go though lol. What happens when you set the ATV to 1080p output and try to connect to the internet? Do you have another TV to test it on?
I will test these things tomorrow :)

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
The thing is. That is exactly the same problem with my other one. This is new.
If it was the GPU. Then why does it die when I connect a Ethernet cable ?

Last edited:

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The tjong is. Tjat it SAS exactly the same problem with my other one. This is new.
If it was the GPU. Then why does it die when I connect a Ethernet cable ?
That's anyone's thing to guess unfortunately. You can't even go to an Apple Store right now :(

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
it could be a faulty network switch or TV

it looks like one or the other is putting voltage onto it's cable (HDMI or ethernet) that it shouldn't.
if only one of the cables is connected, it's fine, since there's no place for the voltage to go.
But when you connect both the HDMI and ethernet cable, the voltage can travel from the switch to the TV going through the aTV.

Try a different network switch or a different HDMI port on the TV.
or possibly try grounding them if you can, it would require a power plug with all 3 prongs.

ESA

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Ok guys, i Got a new Apple TV now... (again)

Same problem with the ethernet.

So I really tested EVERYTHING at home!

---

I´ve Got an Asus AC-5300 router. But Ihave a Time Machine in my network as a network-harddrive also, it´s in bridge-mode, connected via ethernet in my network.

IF i disconnect the Time-machine. Then the Apple TV works, no problem at all now...

IF i connect the Time Machine, it dies within seconds.

---

How can this be?

Last edited: