Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Hey all

A problem recently cropped up with my Apple TV 4K which I have had for over half a year now. I have a 55 inch Samsung UNC TV. I don't know the model, but it's 7ish years old. I have everything going through an Onkyo RC-HC-270 Reciever. My HDMI Cables are ones from MonoPrice that I have had for years. Neither my TV or Receiver are 4k compatible.

Lately I get this occasional message that the Apple TV cant keep a signal due to the HDMI Cable. I cant remember the exact message. It just recently started doing it. It just happens for a moment and then it's fine. Possibly related and completely random is sound will drop out for a brief moment. At first I thought that could be due to internet connection but I checked that and it's solid.

I really dont know what the issue is. My first thought is an HDMI cable, but I wanted to post to see if anyone had other ideas about what could be wrong. My cables are pretty old so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the issue. Would I replace the one from the ATV to the Reciever and the one from the Receiver to the TV?

Thank you.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I always work on cheap and simple first. Don't buy cables unless you prove a faulty one or a system issue. Do you know what the cables are for specification? See link below. It might just be that but if they worked for years.......

Consider the signal chain. ATV---AMP----TV (?) Bypass amp and test it that way with existing cables. Try another input to the TV. Try another input to the amp, different output to the TV etc. Do you have another source, bluray perhaps to test with (note book handy here if you don't do this often ;))

Check for dust in the connector, it could have worked in or cable work loose? Is the connection good and solid or a loose connection? Have the leads been disturbed recently or bend radius altered? Check connectors for damage, aged plastic etc. especially if it gets sunlight a lot and it is not UV stabilised.

Apple TV 4k? What is the output set to? Is that tripping up the ATV? Set the output to one that matches the system max capabilities. eg. set it out at 1080p or 1080i if that TV does that and no more. Or is this already set.

If you do need to replace cables then don't spend a lot, it is not required.
For reference.
https://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Cables in situ and not disturbed rarely go faulty, but as mentioned above, it can happen but usually they just sit there year after year doing their stuff if not disturbed, so what disturbed the chain.

Cables usually go faulty when they are patched a lot, the metal end can wear or the strain relief gives way and the cable connection to the metal strip goes. HDMI is a metal in plastic and that can give. Heat can also distort cable ends.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I got my cables yesterday and did some testing tonight and unfortunately the problem remains. It seems most prominent when listening to Pandora.

The audio just cuts out randomly for a split second every so often. The video is fine.

Someone on another forum mentioned that he has had a similar issue since going to TvOS 12 beta which I am on. I don’t know if downgrade is possible or how hard it is.

I don’t know what else it could be? Could it be my AVR? I wouldn’t even know how to test that. And no other inputs for what it’s worth have any audio drops out.

To answer earlier questions yes it’s an Apple TV 4K but the video is set to 1080p SDR. THats what my tv can handle.

Thanks for any advice.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Is the issue with certain apps? In Video and Audio settings, you can reset video settings. Then, "Check Cable" to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the cable. Adjust settings like format to 1080P SDR, HDMI Output to YCbCR and chrome to 4:2:0 first to test then set 4:4:4 if you want more clarity. You can change the audio mode to auto first or 16 bit (some tv) and see if it will resolve it and set audio format to off

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Have you bypasses the amp? Run a cable direct to the tv.

PS. If you think it is a beta software issue, submit a report.

Last edited:

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA

I didn't even know about this. I will have to look into it, so thanks for the heads up. I will say my receiver seems fine though, all my other inputs (everything is connected via HDMI) are fine. No drop outs or anything. Just the apple TV.
[doublepost=1533135822][/doublepost]
Is the issue with certain apps? In Video and Audio settings, you can reset video settings. Then, "Check Cable" to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the cable. Adjust settings like format to 1080P SDR, HDMI Output to YCbCR and chrome to 4:2:0 first to test then set 4:4:4 if you want more clarity. You can change the audio mode to auto first or 16 bit (some tv) and see if it will resolve it and set audio format to off

I will have to try these, thank you. Where do I change the HDMI Output to YCbCR, etc?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I didn't even know about this. I will have to look into it, so thanks for the heads up. I will say my receiver seems fine though, all my other inputs (everything is connected via HDMI) are fine. No drop outs or anything. Just the apple TV.
You asked if anyone has had any issues, so here's mine. I have a 4K LED, Onkyo HT-R695 updated to latest firmware ( 4K pass through ) and AppleTV 4k. Initially I thought I got the 4K working properly ( everything looked pretty good ). But after using the ATV4K (beta TV 12.0 ) built in testing diagnostics, noticed my HDMI cables were failing. I purchased several of these ( and several 6ft versions as well ):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCGKBWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hooked them up and everything failed. After researching, I found my TV by default sets the HDMI at 1.4. WTF! I went into the TV settings and changed the HDMI to use 2.1 and now everything works.

Probably will not help, but now you know... the rest of the story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.