Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Just got a new 4k TV Vizio P series and Apple 4k

Both have virtually the same apps but my Apple TV is slow to load if it will even play them at all. Just tried watching several shows on ATV on Amazon and got errors and the message to try later, went over to my Smartcast TV settings and watched there with no issues at all.

Also trying to set up any apps on the ATV is such a PIA they usually error out and I have to repeat the same steps over and over. It has a difficult time it seems with my internet and I have Gigabit service with EPB. Even with a wireless connection it should not be having any issues on this front.

I have the 64gb model, did I get a dud should I return it/exchange it? or any suggestions on how to fix this?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try wired ethernet?

is it possible your aTV is buried in a cabinet, or close to a source of EM noise?

go to your router, and see if you can see what speed the aTV is connected at

also speedtest has an app for the appleTV

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
can't do the wired not even temp. The Atv is not buried in a cabinet it is out in the open. Nothing near it that is producing any EM noise.

I have gig internet so my download speeds on my crappy acer laptop are 60.54 Mbps
iPad mini 52.0 download 31.5 upload
iPhone 6splus 76.9 40.2
I can not even get the app store to load on my ATV will try again later. Using a brand new HDMI cable but will trade that out also. I will also try another HDMI port in the TV(this is my second TV since first one had a bad #5 HDMI port)

Also i am using a ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 Dual Band Gigabit Router

I will also change to the other band on my router and see if that helps.

Will try all the above tomorrow one at a time.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
can't do the wired not even temp. The Atv is not buried in a cabinet it is out in the open. Nothing near it that is producing any EM noise.

I have gig internet so my download speeds on my crappy acer laptop are 60.54 Mbps
iPad mini 52.0 download 31.5 upload
iPhone 6splus 76.9 40.2
I can not even get the app store to load on my ATV will try again later. Using a brand new HDMI cable but will trade that out also. I will also try another HDMI port in the TV(this is my second TV since first one had a bad #5 HDMI port)

Also i am using a ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 Dual Band Gigabit Router

I will also change to the other band on my router and see if that helps.

Will try all the above tomorrow one at a time.

Hi Maltoo2! Try both WiFi settings of 5ghz and 2.4 to see which works better for you. Turn off the WiFi setting on your TV too - it may be causing problems or sucking all signals around it.

Reactions: Maltoo2

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Streaming devices are best run wired. Especially 4k. This sounds like a wireless issue to me.
I have the same router and while it's a good one I swtiched to 2 unifi AP's and my network is soooo much better. But I still run everything wired that I can.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
If you’ve got gigabit broadband and only getting those speeds on WiFi, I suggest you have issues somewhere.

Should be getting much faster speeds than that

Jason

Reactions: eggersj

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
If you’ve got gigabit broadband and only getting those speeds on WiFi, I suggest you have issues somewhere.

Should be getting much faster speeds than that

Jason

not on those devices. Except for the iphone 7+(said it was a 6s but it's a 7) but on the ATV I would expect a lot more. just switched my phone over to the 5G band and got these numbers on my iPhone

Attachments

• IMG_3992.PNG
    IMG_3992.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3992.PNG
    IMG_3992.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 155

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
WOW, ok now I am in love with my ATV it is not a dud look at these numbers and all it took was switching it over to the 5G band! thank you BBP

Attachments

• IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
WOW, ok now I am in love with my ATV it is not a dud look at these numbers and all it took was switching it over to the 5G band! thank you BBP
Apple does not support wide channels on 2.4GHz band, that is the reason.
On top of that, various devices have different number of radios/antennae, hence will achieve different top speeds, despite running on same 802.11 standard (this is an issue only on 802.11n and 802.11ac).
AppleTV used to have only single-radio wireless, that has now been upgraded to two, starting with 4th gen.
I know, it needs some digestion, to understand all these wireless networking minutiae.
An example from 2013 explains, why iPad never achieves same wifi speed as a MacBook Pro (actually, even MB Air has only 2 radios), even connected to same wifi standard:
https://www.itproportal.com/2013/10...-ipad-mini-ipad-air-and-macbooks-wi-fi-specs/
(obviously, also your wireless access point/router needs to have at least 3x3 MIMO configuration, for a MBP to achieve it's max speed).

Last edited:

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Just got a new 4k TV Vizio P series and Apple 4k

Both have virtually the same apps but my Apple TV is slow to load if it will even play them at all. Just tried watching several shows on ATV on Amazon and got errors and the message to try later, went over to my Smartcast TV settings and watched there with no issues at all.

Also trying to set up any apps on the ATV is such a PIA they usually error out and I have to repeat the same steps over and over. It has a difficult time it seems with my internet and I have Gigabit service with EPB. Even with a wireless connection it should not be having any issues on this front.

I have the 64gb model, did I get a dud should I return it/exchange it? or any suggestions on how to fix this?
IF you have a Vizio TV with Amazon Prime/Netflix, no reason to keep the ATV 4K EXCEPT for 4K movies. But if they don't stream without buffering, I would say get another ATV or stick to your Vizon apps.

The Apple TV does support a lot of other video sources, but you should have them in your regular packages as well. However, if you're also a cable cutter, you won't be able to play these apps such FX, ESPN, TNT, et al.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
YES!!! I thought it would be that. Stick with the 5G.
Let us all know how you get on with your ATV 4K. I'm truly sure that you'll love it!!! Here in the UK, i'm noticing so many new releases that are not getting released on disc (DVD) let alone Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray. They are going straight to iTunes! Great investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.