Apple TV 4K - Low Volume after 13.4.6

triangletechie

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 21, 2017
NC
I'm not sure if this is the case for anyone else, but I've noticed the volume seems to have been lowered after 13.4.6. I have a Sonos Beam and when I watch using the ATV, I have to now turn the volume up much higher than before. It sounds a little lifeless now.

I also have a 2019 LG TV with ATV app and the volume sounds much better using it. The volume level doesn't have to be cranked up so much and the audio sounds much fuller.

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I’ve had volume issues for a while but they seemed worse for a while-maybe after I updated. I’m on the 14 beta now and the volume seems at least consistent now.

triangletechie

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 21, 2017
NC
I'm at a loss. For some reason, volume is low using the ATV or Xbox One X. But using the Roku Ultra, LG TV, and my Sony 4K BD player, the sound is loud like it should be. Everything is connected by HDMI through the Sonos Beam.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
is it all volume low?
just speech?
just the "background noise"?

In the TV settings, sound "HDMI input audio format", check the ports, see if some of the ports don't match the others, and those line up with the ones you're having issues with.

in the aTV, check the following under settings -> video and audio ->
reduce loud sounds -- off
audio mode -- auto
audio format -> change format --- off

There are also the night mode and speech enhancement in the beam, but that shouldn't vary from source to source on the TV.

Have you tried unplugging everything from power for a bit?
have you tired unplugging and re-seating the HDMI cable?

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm at a loss. For some reason, volume is low using the ATV or Xbox One X. But using the Roku Ultra, LG TV, and my Sony 4K BD player, the sound is loud like it should be. Everything is connected by HDMI through the Sonos Beam.
What is your audio setting set to? Dolby Digital 5.1?

triangletechie

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 21, 2017
NC
The ATV just sounds lifeless. There's no oomph like there is using the Roku, UHD player and even my Directv receiver. The surrounds are barely audible. It honestly sounds like crappy tv speakers.

The Beam is connected by optical to my LG TV. I've swapped out HDMI cables on the ATV. The audio setting has been DD 5.1 and stereo and the same tiny sound results on both.

TrenttonY

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
I had low volume for iTunes content, but choosing "Stereo" (all my setup has) instead of "Auto" in the Audio Settings fixed it.

For some reason having "Auto" on made content, especially dialogue audio very low.

avnisharma65123

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
Go to the Settings on Apple TV, then to Video and Audio.

Audio format: By default, Apple TV uses the best audio format available.

You can change the audio format if you’re low volume problems with playback. Select Audio Format, then select Change Format and choose either Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1, or Stereo.

BellsWhistles

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
California
I'm not sure if this is the case for anyone else, but I've noticed the volume seems to have been lowered after 13.4.6. I have a Sonos Beam and when I watch using the ATV, I have to now turn the volume up much higher than before. It sounds a little lifeless now.

I also have a 2019 LG TV with ATV app and the volume sounds much better using it. The volume level doesn't have to be cranked up so much and the audio sounds much fuller.
Once I saw your post, it dawned on me, this is my issue. I was curious why I needed to adjust the volume up higher on the receiver. I thought it was just me, but it is the AppleTV which is not the same. The volume coming out of it is markedly lower. What used to be set at a volume of "14" is now needing to be set at "22". Granted those are arbitrary volume settings, and not DB settings.

I have noticed the volume difference on Itunes purchases, App Channel content, and self made content. Setting this to "Stereo" is not productive. That is simply locking the audio stream to a single format.

It worked as expected, before I did the last update. Now it doesn't. Which means my Entertainment system is not broken. Only ONE things has changed, the OS on the AppleTV.

Last edited:
Reactions: roronl

triangletechie

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Once I saw your post, it dawned on me, this is my issue. I was curious why I needed to adjust the volume up higher on the receiver. I thought it was just me, but it is the AppleTV which is not the same. The volume coming out of it is markedly lower. What used to be set at a volume of "14" is now needing to be set at "22". Granted those are arbitrary volume settings, and not DB settings.

I have noticed the volume difference on Itunes purchases, App Channel content, and self made content. Setting this to "Stereo" is not productive. That is simply locking the audio stream to a single format.

It worked as expected, before I did the last update. Now it doesn't. Which means my Entertainment system is not broken. Only ONE things has changed, the OS on the AppleTV.
yeah, it definitely wasn't this quiet a few months ago. It's unusable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.