Apple TV 4K, Roku 4K or New TV?

SD449

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Hi All

I have ditched Sky Q as I mostly watch free channels anyway and also have an Amazon Prime Subscription and I am have just signed back up to Netflix

I really like the idea of the Apple TV App and its universal search feature and machine learning suggestions but my Samsung UE55KS9500 is too old to get the app.

So should I buy an Apple TV 4k box, a Roku 4k (hoping the app is launched soon) or upgrade my TV to a possible Samsung UE55RU7100/7400?

Also is it worth waiting for a new Apple TV if I go that route? I haven't seen any rumours to say anything is coming

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2018
USA, CA
Between Apple TV 4k and Roku for me it was hands down Apple TV 4K is a better device. The remote alone makes it better. Mouse pad like tracking, Siri voice search. Streaming performance is excellent and the image quality seems great on my Sony TV. All the streaming apps are available. The only down side is you can't make purchases via some apps like the Amazon, VUDU which have I couldn't rent anything. I could only view what's already rented, purchased or part of the app perks already. Makes sense since Apple would want you to purchase from Apple TV app/Itunes etc.

danpass

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
-

My mom got herself an LG 4k (Costco, I think) and had me set it up.

I discovered:

the LG either doesn't have the wifi bandwidth needed or the RAM needed to keep up even with 720p (likely both issues lol)

A 2018 Samsung NU6950 (I have in the office as a big monitor, it is glorious) is new enough for the ATV app to install on the latest update and seems to handle wifi/4k fine.

Now, I brought over an ATV4K and it most certainly did have the horsepower to handle throughput and deliver to her LG, but she hated the remote.

It came down to installing a Firestick 4k, great remote and no more throughput issues on that LG.

Even though that NU6950 doesn't seem to have issues I still trust a dedicated unit, like an ATV4K or Firestick 4K, over a unit dedicated solely to display (vs processing).

-

Reactions: SD449

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
I am a long-time ATV fan. I have owned every ATV model, and also a few other streaming devices.

I think that the ATV4k is the best one out there at the moment. The UI is so much better than the competition.

But, it is also a lot more $$$ than most of the competition, so if the price doesn't bother you, I would get the ATV4K. If the price is an issue, there are much cheaper options to choose from.

Another thing to consider, while the tvOS is a much better OS and the UI is, imo, better, once you are in the popular apps, there is very little difference between various devices. Most people spend most of their time in the apps, and not in the home screens, so a cheaper device might be okay most of the time.

Performance wise, the A10X in the ATV4k is powerful, maybe over-powered for just a streaming box. If decent games ever come to tvOS, then maybe that A10X can be fully utilized.

I know you mentioned just one TV, but often I suggest people with multiple TVs to get an ATV4K for their main TV and cheaper devices for their secondary TVs, since the ATV is so pricey.

Here is a warning though, when it comes to ATVs, I would spend the little extra money and get the ATV4K over the ATV4 (Apple TV HD). The ATV4 has an A8 in it, which I think was under-powered at the ATV4 launch, and shouldn't be sold today, especially at the price it is being sold at.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2018
....VUDU which have I couldn't rent anything. I could only view what's already rented, purchased or part of the app perks already. Makes sense since Apple would want you to purchase from Apple TV app/Itunes etc.
With VUDU you can purchase/rent via their browser site and then watch it on whatever device you want. I haven't done it in a few months but that's always worked.

Reactions: MacDaddyPanda

firewire9000

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I have a new series 8 2018 Tizen Samsung and the OS is rubbish. The interface is slow and ugly and performance inside apps is bad as well. My Apple TV 4K is much better in every way.

Reactions: satcomer and SD449

malexandria22

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Hi All

I have ditched Sky Q as I mostly watch free channels anyway and also have an Amazon Prime Subscription and I am have just signed back up to Netflix

I really like the idea of the Apple TV App and its universal search feature and machine learning suggestions but my Samsung UE55KS9500 is too old to get the app.

So should I buy an Apple TV 4k box, a Roku 4k (hoping the app is launched soon) or upgrade my TV to a possible Samsung UE55RU7100/7400?

Also is it worth waiting for a new Apple TV if I go that route? I haven't seen any rumours to say anything is coming
4 months ago I would have said ATv with no question but TVOS and the stupid ATV app have made it damn near unusable. It is a broken, buggy mess and the design of the ATV App is an utter, barely usable nightmare. If I didn’t own over 1,000 movies in iTunes, but more importantly all my tv shows I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. That’s how much I loathe TVOs now. Apple in the last few yrs has been horrible.
[doublepost=1566564851][/doublepost]
4 months ago I would have said ATv with no question but TVOS and the stupid ATV app have made it damn near unusable. It is a broken, buggy mess and the design of the ATV App is an utter, barely usable nightmare. If I didn’t own over 1,000 movies in iTunes, but more importantly all my tv shows I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. That’s how much I loathe TVOs now. Apple in the last few yrs has been horrible.
if you aren’t locked in I’d definitely recommend looking at something else.
[doublepost=1566564949][/doublepost]

beyond my itunes purchases there are some business apps I require that’s only on ATV
[doublepost=1566565039][/doublepost]
-

My mom got herself an LG 4k (Costco, I think) and had me set it up.

I discovered:

the LG either doesn't have the wifi bandwidth needed or the RAM needed to keep up even with 720p (likely both issues lol)

A 2018 Samsung NU6950 (I have in the office as a big monitor, it is glorious) is new enough for the ATV app to install on the latest update and seems to handle wifi/4k fine.

Now, I brought over an ATV4K and it most certainly did have the horsepower to handle throughput and deliver to her LG, but she hated the remote.

It came down to installing a Firestick 4k, great remote and no more throughput issues on that LG.

Even though that NU6950 doesn't seem to have issues I still trust a dedicated unit, like an ATV4K or Firestick 4K, over a unit dedicated solely to display (vs processing).

-
strange. Streaming 4k on my LG Oled looks better than through my ATV.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
www.jeffperrinmusic.com
First thing I do on a "smart TV" is disable the wi-fi. (!)

Roku offer some cheap alternatives, but if you're in the mac ecosystem (iTunes account, iPhone, etc.), you may be happier with the ATV.

We'll see what happens when Roku starts supporting Airplay, but even then, it means your iPhone or iPad will be heating up/churning battery life to do all your streaming...

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

[doublepost=1566564949][/doublepost]

beyond my itunes purchases there are some business apps I require that’s only on ATV
[doublepost=1566565039][/doublepost]

strange. Streaming 4k on my LG Oled looks better than through my ATV.
I think the your ATV must be faulty as being honest, my Apple TV just gets better and better every year! But then I don't use it as much as any people on this site. Once a week for a film when i'm in the UK and daily to AirPlay a 10 minute surf vlog over brunch :) For me, ATV is great for what it is - a media streamer. It performs superbly at playing iTunes film / TV from the Apple Cloud - (homesharing is a complete mess IMO - years of stuttering at times and perfect at others - I gave up on that approach) and streaming from my favourite apps - The Surf Network, RedBull, Garage and WSL. That's what I use it for.

You can ignore that TV app if you want. I find it an insult to my intelligence being honest - i'm perfectly capable of deciding what i'd like to watch - i certainly don't need to be spoon fed by the stupid app. I think it's maybe for people that just watch TV all day long. I must admit that I don't like the direction that Apple is going in terms of its awful TV+ service and I find it tragic that people need so much TV in their life - life is very short!
I was really shocked to see Tim Cook unveiling ATV+ when he said that 'we all love TV' etc. He really made a big thing of it. I found it very last century to be honest I just thought how very dishonest of him. But hey.

I'm very surprised that your tv gives a better picture than the ATV. Something is definitely wrong with your ATV.

malexandria22

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Hi All

Just downloaded the Beta and it seems really good so far. The audio is a lot punchier not sure what they did and they got rid of that picture in picture thing and brought back the proper info menu that shows a synopsis of what you are watching. So far good. Need to do some more testing. Hopefully it fixed the remote freezing/scrolling issue in the Apple TV app.
[doublepost=1566594123][/doublepost]
I think the your ATV must be faulty as being honest, my Apple TV just gets better and better every year! But then I don't use it as much as any people on this site. Once a week for a film when i'm in the UK and daily to AirPlay a 10 minute surf vlog over brunch :) For me, ATV is great for what it is - a media streamer. It performs superbly at playing iTunes film / TV from the Apple Cloud - (homesharing is a complete mess IMO - years of stuttering at times and perfect at others - I gave up on that approach) and streaming from my favourite apps - The Surf Network, RedBull, Garage and WSL. That's what I use it for.

You can ignore that TV app if you want. I find it an insult to my intelligence being honest - i'm perfectly capable of deciding what i'd like to watch - i certainly don't need to be spoon fed by the stupid app. I think it's maybe for people that just watch TV all day long. I must admit that I don't like the direction that Apple is going in terms of its awful TV+ service and I find it tragic that people need so much TV in their life - life is very short!
I was really shocked to see Tim Cook unveiling ATV+ when he said that 'we all love TV' etc. He really made a big thing of it. I found it very last century to be honest I just thought how very dishonest of him. But hey.

I'm very surprised that your tv gives a better picture than the ATV. Something is definitely wrong with your ATV.

yes, but as you said you don't use your ATV much. I use mine every day and it worked perfectly fine until that abomination called TVOs 13.

malexandria22

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
First thing I do on a "smart TV" is disable the wi-fi. (!)

Roku offer some cheap alternatives, but if you're in the mac ecosystem (iTunes account, iPhone, etc.), you may be happier with the ATV.

We'll see what happens when Roku starts supporting Airplay, but even then, it means your iPhone or iPad will be heating up/churning battery life to do all your streaming...
don't just blindly listen to certain youtubers. Firmware updates can mess up a TV, but for the vast majority they are perfectly fine. There's no point buying a "smart" tv if you don't use it's functions. granted it's nearly impossible NOT to get a tv with "smart" features.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Just downloaded the Beta and it seems really good so far. The audio is a lot punchier not sure what they did and they got rid of that picture in picture thing and brought back the proper info menu that shows a synopsis of what you are watching. So far good. Need to do some more testing. Hopefully it fixed the remote freezing/scrolling issue in the Apple TV app.
[doublepost=1566594123][/doublepost]

yes, but as you said you don't use your ATV much. I use mine every day and it worked perfectly fine until that abomination called TVOs 13.
Absolutely although i've had Apple TV for 9 years now and it's my only box - no disc players or gaming things or satellite/cable box. The problem here is that you are beta testing! It's the worst thing that you can do on something that you use every day. Heck, back in the day, I waited at least a month before I downloaded a new iOS. I feel for the guys who beta tested iOS 11 :) I waited 6 months for that one.
Seriously, never be a beta tester unless you love stress and sadness. Just wait for the launch date. Of course beta testing will reveal bugs bugs and bugs. Just don't expect a beta to work, of course it will not - it's for the geeks who love that kind of thing - not for someone who simply wants a product to perform flawlessly :) On a positive note, it should be released in a month or so :)

valkyrie917

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
I was debating this same question as I moved into a new apartment. Ultimately, I went with a new ATV4K (the old one went to the bedroom TV). One of the reasons being privacy. After that whole Vizio thing I basically just connect the TV to the internet once a year to check for updates to firmware. It also delivers a consistent experience across my devices. But Roku is more flexible and it will eventually have the Apple TV App. I do still use my Roku stick when I travel. So I don't think you'd be wrong in going with either a Roku or ATV but would keep the Smart TV off of constant internet.

Do they even sell "dumb" TV's anymore? I would LOVE a TV with all the new screen technology but stripped of that smart interface that I don't want to use.

Reactions: colodane and SD449

malexandria22

Suspended
Jul 1, 2019
Absolutely although i've had Apple TV for 9 years now and it's my only box - no disc players or gaming things or satellite/cable box. The problem here is that you are beta testing! It's the worst thing that you can do on something that you use every day. Heck, back in the day, I waited at least a month before I downloaded a new iOS. I feel for the guys who beta tested iOS 11 :) I waited 6 months for that one.
Seriously, never be a beta tester unless you love stress and sadness. Just wait for the launch date. Of course beta testing will reveal bugs bugs and bugs. Just don't expect a beta to work, of course it will not - it's for the geeks who love that kind of thing - not for someone who simply wants a product to perform flawlessly :) On a positive note, it should be released in a month or so :)
Actually I wasn't beta testing. I just downloaded the beta today because the official release was so god awful that I had to see if the Beta would have been better.
[doublepost=1566600525][/doublepost]
I was debating this same question as I moved into a new apartment. Ultimately, I went with a new ATV4K (the old one went to the bedroom TV). One of the reasons being privacy. After that whole Vizio thing I basically just connect the TV to the internet once a year to check for updates to firmware. It also delivers a consistent experience across my devices. But Roku is more flexible and it will eventually have the Apple TV App. I do still use my Roku stick when I travel. So I don't think you'd be wrong in going with either a Roku or ATV but would keep the Smart TV off of constant internet.

Do they even sell "dumb" TV's anymore? I would LOVE a TV with all the new screen technology but stripped of that smart interface that I don't want to use.
Every connected device is spying on you. Yes even Apple products. I don't believe their "we care about your privacy" bs for a second. As evidenced by a story today about employees listening in on your Siri requests.

valkyrie917

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
Actually I wasn't beta testing. I just downloaded the beta today because the official release was so god awful that I had to see if the Beta would have been better.

Every connected device is spying on you. Yes even Apple products. I don't believe their "we care about your privacy" bs for a second. As evidenced by a story today about employees listening in on your Siri requests.
Sure they do but it's what they do with that information that matters. Also, I have Siri turned off.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
www.jeffperrinmusic.com
don't just blindly listen to certain youtubers. Firmware updates can mess up a TV, but for the vast majority they are perfectly fine. There's no point buying a "smart" tv if you don't use it's functions. granted it's nearly impossible NOT to get a tv with "smart" features.
It's no secret so-called "smart TVs" are rife with personal data leaks and misuse. Several major manufacturers have already got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

From consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/televisions/samsung-roku-smart-tvs-vulnerable-to-hacking-consumer-reports-finds/
(Headline here is: Samsung and Roku Smart TVs Vulnerable to Hacking, Consumer Reports Finds)

And as you point out, if you want a quality screen, it's hard *not* to buy a smart TV. At least that's how the big-box stores are pushing it...

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
It's no secret so-called "smart TVs" are rife with personal data leaks and misuse. Several major manufacturers have already got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

From consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/televisions/samsung-roku-smart-tvs-vulnerable-to-hacking-consumer-reports-finds/
(Headline here is: Samsung and Roku Smart TVs Vulnerable to Hacking, Consumer Reports Finds)

And as you point out, if you want a quality screen, it's hard *not* to buy a smart TV. At least that's how the big-box stores are pushing it...
Hi Jeff!
What is worrying here is Apple TV App on the Samsung TV platform with others to come. Does this mean that if you want to watch your iTunes films etc, you would have to sign into the app with your Apple ID and password on a damn SAMDUNG TV?????? If so, you would have to be incredibly ignorant or crazy to do that. You Apple ID holds everything to do with your Mac, iPhone, iTunes purchases, Apple software etc.
I've never heard of anything so crazy in my life actually trusting really horrible third prty pltforms with something so important, if the is the case.
These is a reason why Roku and Amazon products are cheap. They nasty, horribly made, pieces of short longevity rubbish.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
www.jeffperrinmusic.com
Pretty scary thought, for sure. Hopefully the Apple TV app will be locked down super-tight, with passwords and such entered via secure link with an iPhone and *not* a Samsung on-screen keyboard.

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
Between Apple TV 4k and Roku for me it was hands down Apple TV 4K is a better device.
I 100% agree and made the same choice. I liked the Roku until I tried out the Apple TV and immediately made the decision to switch. Since then, haven’t looked at any other existing options.

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY

If you’re using OS 13 you’re beta testing. You may have been using an old beta but TvOS 13 isn’t officially released yet.
[doublepost=1567015307][/doublepost]My take is that if you’re happy with the IQ of your current TV get the Apple TV 4K. It is a great device. Certainly faster, smoother, and less buffering than my LG C8 OLED apps which are generally considered some of the best start TVs on the market.

if you have a chance, do play with the remote before purchase. That’s the most polarizing aspect of the device. Although you can use many other universal remotes.

SD449

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Thank you everyone, it seems the ATV 4K is the clear winner.

Now just got to decide if I wait to for a model refresh or get one now

Macalicious2011

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
London
I was lucky to buy a dumb 4K LG TV at the end of 2016. No bugs, software update prompts, freezing or random restarts.

The image quality is superb and the viewing angles are ace with zero input lag for ATV or PS4PRO.

I love it!