Apple TV 4k + Sony HDR 4k = No Netflix

Average Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
For the past several months, half of the TV screen (Sony XBR-65X850D) freezes randomly. The TV will go days without the problem or appear every 2-3 hours. The only way to fix it is to Restart the Apple TV 4k (ATV4). Two months ago, I could no longer access Netflix through ATV4. It begins to load and then gets stuck on the spinning red wheel of death. I trouble-shot the issue with Apple, replaced the HDMI and Ethernet cables. Did not fix the issue. When I contacted Netflix, they said they were aware of the issue, but could not provide a fix date. And yes, we did a lot of trouble-shooting. I suspected it was the ATV4 so I purchased a brand new one figuring I could use the old one on a different TV or return it since it was still under warranty. Same problem appeared. I took the new ATV4 and connected it to an old TV - Netflix works. I took the older ATV4 and connected it to the old TV and Netflix works.

Note that when I had cable service, the TV screen did not lock up while watching TV. The cable TV was also connected via and HDMI cable. I did send these details to Sony.

Tech Details:
(1) I have updated the software on both the Sony and ATV4.
(2) Everything is hardwired. No wifi for ATV4 or Sony.
(3) Fiber connection with ~500Mbps upload and download.

Any suggestions?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I'm afraid this brings a lot of tries to troubleshoot. This issue is a b*tch, I've seen it before.

I took the new ATV4 and connected it to an old TV - Netflix works. I took the older ATV4 and connected it to the old TV and Netflix works.
When you did this were both ATV connected to the same network? Even the same ethernet cord (i.e. you switched the TVs)? If so it would be like saying that connecting via HDMI the ATV to a different TV makes Netflix in the ATV working. Which would be quite weird, although everything is possible.

Anyway, I would also check few things:

• if connecting the Bravia to the same ethernet cord of the (unplugged) ATV the TV's native Netflix app works.
  • If it doesn't I'd check still from the TV's app with a different ethernet wire
  • If now it works I'd use that wire for the ATV 4K
  • I'd test if it works on the ATV 4K (connected to the Bravia) via WiFi
  • I'd try to change the ATV 4K IP address to static (you must check in the router for an available IP address), also changing the DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8)

In the EU Bravia forums, long time ago, there was a similar issue with the TV's Netflix app for various users. Netflix loaded up to 75-99% and then it was stuck. I remember that in the case of a user it started to work again after he changed the router (it just happened the ISP gave him a new, different router).

Average Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Thank you for the response and suggestions.

The primary TV is all hard wired. The second TV is all wireless. Too far away to connect an ethernet cable to the second TV where the Netflix is working with the ATV4.

I used your suggestion and connected the ATV4 on the primary via wi-fi; no change. I even connected the Sony to wi-fi no change. However, the Sony can directly connect to Netflix and it works.

So it all comes down to the Sony not wanting to work with Netflix via ATV4. Not sure why half of the Sony screen freezes. The freeze happens not matter what I'm watching on the ATV4.

I'll check on this 8.8.8.8 later.

More Tech Info.
The only Apps I added to the ATV4 are: Reuters, Netflix, Vimeo and Speed Test. Nothing else.

I'm afraid this brings a lot of tries to troubleshoot. This issue is a b*tch, I've seen it before.

When you did this were both ATV connected to the same network? Even the same ethernet cord (i.e. you switched the TVs)? If so it would be like saying that connecting via HDMI the ATV to a different TV makes Netflix in the ATV working. Which would be quite weird, although everything is possible.

Anyway, I would also check few things:

• if connecting the Bravia to the same ethernet cord of the (unplugged) ATV the TV's native Netflix app works.
  • If it doesn't I'd check still from the TV's app with a different ethernet wire
  • If now it works I'd use that wire for the ATV 4K
  • I'd test if it works on the ATV 4K (connected to the Bravia) via WiFi
  • I'd try to change the ATV 4K IP address to static (you must check in the router for an available IP address), also changing the DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8)

In the EU Bravia forums, long time ago, there was a similar issue with the TV's Netflix app for various users. Netflix loaded up to 75-99% and then it was stuck. I remember that in the case of a user it started to work again after he changed the router (it just happened the ISP gave him a new, different router).

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Which HDMI port are you connecting it with? Are you using a high speed, or hdmi rated for 48gbps for 4k HDR at 120hz?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
So it all comes down to the Sony not wanting to work with Netflix via ATV4. Not sure why half of the Sony screen freezes. The freeze happens not matter what I'm watching on the ATV4.
I'm confused. What's freezing? The Netflix app on ATV 4K or the whole Bravia display? Could you please post a picture?

Average Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
(1) The ATV4 is connected to HDMI Port 2 on the TV.

(2) I am using a Belkin Ultra High Speed 4k HDMI Cable (supports up to 4096-by-2160 resolution and bandwidth up to 48 Gbps)

Which HDMI port are you connecting it with? Are you using a high speed, or hdmi rated for 48gbps for 4k HDR at 120hz?
[doublepost=1551007351][/doublepost]On occasion, half or the TV screen (left side) freezes. As in the picture get stuck, but the right side of the TV screen continues along with sound. A few moments before the screen freezes, there's a few flickers of horizontal lines.

I'm confused. What's freezing? The Netflix app on ATV 4K or the whole Bravia display? Could you please post a picture?

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You have hardware failure.
Whether it is the aTV or your Bravia, hard to tell from here.

Last edited:

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
(1) The ATV4 is connected to HDMI Port 2 on the TV.

(2) I am using a Belkin Ultra High Speed 4k HDMI Cable (supports up to 4096-by-2160 resolution and bandwidth up to 48 Gbps)

[doublepost=1551007351][/doublepost]On occasion, half or the TV screen (left side) freezes. As in the picture get stuck, but the right side of the TV screen continues along with sound. A few moments before the screen freezes, there's a few flickers of horizontal lines.
HDMI ports 2, and 3 are the high speed ports on your model. Try switching to HDMI 3. If you can reset the Apple TV before this, and set it up from there. If you have another Apple TV you know works try that on both HDMI 2, and 3 to test it.

I think Sony also just put out an Oreo update for their 4k tvs did you update this, or did it auto update?

Mellofello808

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Sounds like some kind of HDCP issue with your TV, or potentially a bad HDMI board on the TV.

If you confirmed it still happened with a brand new ATV4k then you can rule out trouble shooting that device.

I would suggest you turn off HDR for a while on the ATV, and then the TV. See if the issue persists with just SDR.

I would also try to demo it with another 4k hdr device. See if the issue is at all related to the ATV. Try ordering a fire TV 4k, from Amazon, or Target and returning it after.

If your TV is still under warranty then call Sony. They are actually great to deal with. My buddy had a minor but annoying issue with his $3000 TV a few years back.

Instead of even fixing it, Sony just had him scratch off the serial number, and refunded all his money.