Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LtRoyalShrimp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
SF, CA
Hi,

Has anyone else had this issue?

Ill be watching Netflix or Hulu and every time I start an episode, subtitles are activated.

Its not a major deal, but a pain in the butt.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
mine's been doing the same thing
although now that i think about it it's been a while since it's happened, maybe try a reboot of the aTV?

if not a triple tap on the touch pad should turn them off (or on)

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Having the same issue. Sub titles are turned off in control panel but show up anyway. The Hot Key will turn them off momentarily but they come right back.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
How many other people use your Netflix or Hulu account? I find whenever my daughter turns on CC on her device, it affects all others.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hi,

Ill be watching Netflix or Hulu and every time I start an episode, subtitles are activated.

I have that issue on some purchases on AppleTV 4 on iTunes mostly.. its annoys me to death.

When i want then on, i'll say so. In my care, reboot, even a full restore didn't help.. using latest TvOS. I believe its just Apple's problem... as the pull down menu for subtitles Apple control, to turn on and off..

Unless the movie was done with subtitles directly in (like foreign movies)

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Hi,

Yes I get this all the time- indiscriminately over various apps for no apparent reason

We don't use any of the apps on other platforms so it's not that either

EDIT: for clarity I have the Apple TV 4 (but not 4K)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yes I get this all the time- indiscriminately over various apps for no apparent reason

We don't use any of the apps on other platforms so it's not that either

EDIT: for clarity I have the Apple TV 4 (but not 4K)

My ATV 4 also does it occasionally---

unipnthr

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2017
Mine seems to be doing it as well. I am also having issues with the triple tap working which makes it even more annoying.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Mine seems to be doing it as well. I am also having issues with the triple tap working which makes it even more annoying.

Can the 'triple tap' shortcut be disabled? Wondering if that could be what's causing mine (though I don't think so, would be useful to eliminate it as a possibility)

LCC0256

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2017
Martinez, GA. USA
I dont have the 4K Apple TV (Reg 4th Gen) but occasionally my subtitles turn on. Instead of refreshing my tired old brain trying to remember how to turn them off I simply ask Siri to do it for me. I always chalked it up to my Apple TV having a mind of it's own. All my machines do...! Maybe it is because I stop wearing tin foil in my caps.....

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Mine does this once in a while and I have the non 4K one. It’s just annoying when it happens because I always have a hard time finding the settings again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.