Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I have a 2017 Samsung Q7 ("QLED TV") and was wondering what the differences between the proprietary Samsung Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc apps and the Apple TV apps would be.

Would the Apple TV 4K offer better picture quality?

Curious what folks view as the Apple TV 4K's advantages over smart TV apps.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I also just upgraded to a Q7 and here are my takeaways:

1. The Apple TV has better wifi. It can handle high bandwidth streams (like 4k) better because it has a dual band ac antenna. The Q7 tops out at wireless n. I have a pretty good router that's a reasonable distance from my TV, and the TV is hit-or-miss quality-wise even for HD content. Granted, I don't have the fastest connection, but my Apple TV seems to do fine with the same bandwidth.
2. The Apple TVs apps are usually updated quicker. Because tvOS apps are iOS apps at the core, they are updated pretty much constantly. On the Samsung side of things, not so much. The new version of Eden (Samsung's OS) that is on the Q7 is better about this, but there usually isn't much longevity in the Samsung-verse. Their software tends to get abandoned pretty quickly.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The Samsung apps on my ks8000 are not current and tend to lock up somewhat regularly. They often can’t be killed and I need to pull the power from my TV to get them working again.
Also the ads on the menu are infuriating. I was happy to deny the TV access to the internet.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I have a 2017 Samsung Q7 ("QLED TV") and was wondering what the differences between the proprietary Samsung Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc apps and the Apple TV apps would be.

Would the Apple TV 4K offer better picture quality?

Curious what folks view as the Apple TV 4K's advantages over smart TV apps.

I just got a q7 series. What hdmi cord are you using?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
No, not better image quality. Biggest difference is a streaming device will have a lot more apps than what is built in to the TV. The apps on my LG are high quality and updated often and sometimes i'll use them. But there aren't a lot of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.