Apple TV 4th gen Airplay Icon Locked In iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MacManiac76, Apr 3, 2017.

1. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I just got a new Apple TV 4th gen and for some reason it refuses to play movies from iTunes over Airplay. I noticed in iTunes that when I have my Apple TV connected under the Airplay icon the small Apple TV icon displayed next to the devices name has a lock on it. I'm guessing this is why it is not using Airplay to stream my movies over my local network. I've tried doing a Google search for others with the same issue, but nobody seams to have figured out why this lock icon appears. Any ideas? Thanks for any advice.

2. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Well I just got off the phone with Apple Support and apparently that lock icon has nothing to do with the Airplay issue. I was just going about playing the movies using Home Sharing all wrong. To stream the movie over the local network you have to go under Computers, then under your Library and select Movies and play the movie from there. If you try to play the movie any other way such as using the TV app or from under Purchased in the iTunes Movies app it will stream the move over the Internet instead of locally. Turns out I basically downloaded a couple movies twice. Live and learn.