Apple TV (4th Gen) bad video output

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mmomega, Dec 5, 2015.

1. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Well one thing I didn't see coming. 1 of the 3 new AppleTV's I bought on launch day just kicked the bucket.
    I was watching Hulu on it last night and it was great. Today I turned on the TV/Receiver/aTV and was greeted with this screen.

IMG_0533.jpg

Yeah, no good.
    First thing I did was to do a hard reset on the aTV.
    This changed nothing and with no Apple logo on reboot.

I then started the troubleshooting. Cable, receiver port, etc.
    1st thing was I switched the aTV HDMI cable to my DirecTV cable and dTV cable to aTV. Leaving each cable in the same receiver port but switching the box on either side, in case this was possibly a bad HDMI connection on the receiver side. This should also rule out the HDMI cable.

Change inputs to SAT/CABLE (where the dTV is connected) and now I have the same crappy aTV screen you see above. So the problem followed the AppleTV, to a new port and new HDMI cable.....great. DirecTV showed up perfectly on the aTV HDMI cable and it's receiver input.

I then took a 3rd HDMI cable and connected the aTV directly into the TV. Still.aTV.Failing.

Last but not least just for S&G's to think the 4k TV was somehow at fault, I went into the bedroom and disconnected the other aTV from that TV, connected the faulty aTV and VOILA! --- it is still failing.

So tomorrow I'll be off to the AppleStore with a semi-dead aTV in tow to see if they simply hand me a newer model off the shelf or if they suggest something else.

I am going to try a restore from iTunes but I have my doubts on this one guys.

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Sounds like a brick. I had an iPad once that looked like that when I turned it on. They just handed me a new one.

3. mmomega thread starter macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Same thing. I walked in, tried explaining but resorted to just showing them a video I took. They immediately said "Yeah it's not supposed to be like that." and walked over, picked out a new model off the shelf and exchanged it out. Maybe 5-10 minutes max in and out.
    Replacement works great.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Good deal.

5. melapple macrumors regular

I had this happen a few times to my Apple TV but only very briefly as I turn it on. It's connected to my TV through a receiver. Any idea?

6. Nlrwilson macrumors newbie

Nlrwilson

Yeah, don't spend any time on a device that's fully covered. Take it back without giving it a second thought.

7. mmomega thread starter macrumors demi-god

mmomega

that's pretty much how I saw it... I did minimal troubleshooting and when that didn't give me any other info I took it and exchanged it for a new box.

8. melapple macrumors regular