Apple TV 4th gen + Family Sharing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DudeNumberTwo, Nov 3, 2015.

1. DudeNumberTwo macrumors newbie

DudeNumberTwo

I've discovered that you cannot currently download a paid app on the new Apple TV if you are on a family sharing plan, at least in my case.

My mother, brother, and sister in law are all on the same family sharing plan... (we all get Apple Music that way, etc.)

I purchase gift cards for my account so that it doesn't charge my brother's card (head of the plan) when I purchase an app. So, with a $15 balance on my iTunes account, I attempted to download a $3.99 app on the Apple TV. First, I was asked for the CVV on my personal card (which makes no sense, but I put it in anyway), then I was asked for my iTunes store password - OK, put that in, then it tells me that I have to go to iTunes to verify my payment information. Well guess what? my payment information is "The payment method for your Family is managed by xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com. Codes you redeem will be applied only to your individual account." OK, great, I have a $15 balance, so let me have my app. Nope.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. jmantn macrumors 6502

Yes having that very issue now. Calling AppleCare tech support.

3. DudeNumberTwo thread starter macrumors newbie

DudeNumberTwo

Let me know what you find out. They're scheduled to call me tonight after work, but I'm interested to hear what they say to you. Seems like a MAJOR screwup on Apple's part. A glitch that doesn't allow people to PAY for apps? Sheesh!

4. jmantn macrumors 6502

So they asked me to have the family member enter in her info despite family payments under my info. Family member did so and then it asked for their Apple ID password and then it asked them to go to a computer and verify payment.

Option B from apple Care was to remove family member, have them remove their personal CC from payment and then be added back and then try. When family member tried it hilariously stated to enter the CVV code for "Nothing" and once entered my CVV code it asked for Apple password again but this time it went through.

Most likely a 1.0 bug

5. DudeNumberTwo thread starter macrumors newbie

DudeNumberTwo

Yeah - you're probably right. In my case, my head of the family sharing plan is in another state and busier than any human should ever have to be. I'm just going to wait it out. What a horrible, stupid mistake on their part, mainly from a business standpoint....to stop purchases dead in their tracks.